Volleyball dazed in rematch with Cougars

Huskies swept in opening weekend
Scott Walstrom
NIU junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo spikes the ball over the net during Saturday’s matchup against University of Illinois. The Huskies dropped the match by a set score of 3-1. (Scott Walstrom | NIU Athletics)

DeKALB – Seeking its first win and a bit of vengeance, NIU volleyball was forcefully rebuffed by a familiar foe and remains winless to start 2023.

The winless Huskies were plagued by the offensive onslaught dealt by visiting Chicago State University throughout Sunday night, ending in a 3-1 Cougars win.

NIU hosted Chicago State at the NIU Convocation Center for the second time this weekend, eyeing revenge after its previous meeting Friday, where the Cougars downed the Huskies 3-2. 

Junior libero Crew Hoffmeier asserted that the team’s confidence has not wavered despite the season’s sour start.

“I know it’s frustrating, especially losing all three games this weekend,” Hoffmeier said. “But I do think we have the mindset that we can absolutely win any game in the MAC.”

HUSKIES ENDURE AN OFFENSIVE ASSAULT

NIU’s defensive front was left scorned by a CSU hitting tandem that registered two double-doubles – including a pair of 20-kill outings.

Chicago State outside hitter Yanlis Feliz notched a match-best 22 kills on a .571 hitting performance. The 6-foot hitter also dealt NIU 10 digs and a block assist.

Close behind her teammate was freshman outside hitter Patrycja Lagida. She posted 22 kills in her second college start. Lagida inflicted 10 digs and an ace upon NIU.

“Kudos to Chicago State,” said volleyball head coach Sondra Parys. “They got arms, they got talent and they found a way to score.”

BRIGHTS SPOTS IN A DIM ENDING

In light of defensive struggles, the NIU serving unit delivered with well-placed hits. Five Huskies combined for seven service aces on the night. Hoffmeier and junior setter Sophie Hurt led the way with two aces each.

Junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo spearheaded NIU’s offensive effort. The third-year starter tallied 12 kills on the night, along with four blocks and a service ace.

REVENGE DENIED

Chicago State jumped ahead early by taking the match’s first two sets (25-23 and 25-21, respectively). NIU allowed 36 kills during the first two sets. 

NIU responded with a .406 hitting performance in the third set. Eight different Huskies scored to help NIU take the set, 25-19, and avoid a sweep.

The finishing blow for NIU was dealt in the fourth set. Both sides scored back-and-forth before CSU broke from a 4-4 tie. The match’s deciding set resulted in the largest margin, Chicago State taking it 25-13.

TIME TO HIT THE ROAD

With their opening weekend in the books, the Huskies will spend their next 11 matches on the road. They will finish out their out-of-conference schedule and kick off league play in that stretch.

NIU returns home on Sept. 29 for its MAC home opener against the Miami University RedHawks. The Huskies will prepare for a trek to North Carolina for the Wildcat Classic hosted by Davidson College.

First on NIU’s slate of opponents is the University of North Carolina-Wilmington. Play is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. CT Friday at John M. Belk Arena in Davidson, North Carolina.