Please stop throwing things at concerts

(Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)
On June 19, 2022, Wembley Stadium was filled with fans attending Harry Styles’ live concert, “Love on Tour.” Harry Styles is just one of the many artists who have been hit by fans throwing objects on stage. (Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

In the depths of the crowd, music fills the air, while music lovers are singing and dancing along. However, amidst the noise, there is an alarming amount of disrespect. The cheers that celebrated the artists are no longer, as the hurling of objects hurts the performer. It is time to demand better respect at events, so artists and music enthusiasts can safely get back to what they love.

Artists like Bebe Rexha, Kelsea Ballerini and Harry Styles have been subjected to having items thrown at them while they are performing, according to NPR. There has been a disturbing trend that needs urgent attention and change. We need to take action against the appalling lack of event etiquette, disrespectful behavior that ruins the spirit of live events and makes the performers fear for their safety. 

Singer Bebe Rexha was hit in the face with a cellphone at her June 18 show in New York and needed stitches, according to Variety.

It’s heartbreaking to see these talented performers face physical harm and psychological stress while doing what they love. 

We don’t want to see our favorite artists get injured, right? Or even worse, have our favorite artists not perform shows anymore? 

There are many factors that come into play when it comes to artists getting items thrown at them. Factors such as desperation, alcohol and wanting attention on social media, whether that be good or bad, can play a role in disrespectful behavior at events. These factors can inhibit people’s behavior and influence people to be disrespectful and to throw things at the artists.

We need to show more empathy, respect and gratitude at live events. Fans should embrace their roles as passionate supporters, understanding that their involvement and appreciation contribute to the magic of live performances. 

Artists can also play a crucial role in bridging this gap by fostering open dialogues with their fans, emphasizing the importance of respect and the impact such incidents have on their well-being. There have been numerous artists that have spoken out about concert etiquette such as Adele, Charlie Puth and Billie Eilish.

Charlie Puth is one of the many artists that have begged fans to stop throwing items at concerts, according to People.

“This trend of throwing things at performers while they are on stage must come to an end. It’s so disrespectful and very dangerous. Please just enjoy the music I beg of you,” Puth said.

To address this issue, event organizers, security teams and fans must collectively advocate for stricter security measures and stronger repercussions for those found guilty of such offenses.