Volleyball eyes success under new leadership

Previewing NIU’s 2023 season, the start of a new age
Scott Walstrom | NIU Athletics
Graduate student outside hitter Katie Erdmann, junior libero Crew Hoffmeier, junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo, sophomore defensive specialist Olivia Hogan, junior defensive specialist Jada Cerniglia and senior setter Ella Mihacevich celebrate after a rally during Friday’s season-opening match against Chicago State University at the NIU Convocation Center. The Huskies were defeated 3-2. (Scott Walstrom | NIU Athletics)

The new age of NIU volleyball begins with an abundance of ‘news’: new coaches, new players, new jerseys, new foes and even a new live mascot.

With three matches under their belt, the 2023 Huskies have entered the thick of a regular season that promises answers to a program helmed by a new authority.

NEW SEASON, NEW STAFF

Leading the Huskies in her first season as an NCAA Division I head coach is Crystal Lake native Sondra Parys. The University of Toledo alum was hired to take the reins of NIU volleyball on Dec. 15, 2022.

Parys filled out her first coaching staff by bringing in Mackenzie Rombach and Ross Kessler as assistant coaches. Rombach joined NIU after two years at her alma mater, Jacksonville State University. Eighteen-year coaching veteran Kessler arrived in DeKalb following a five-season stint at Division II Newberry College.

The new regime also retained director of operations Morgan Sherwin for her second season with the program.

ROSTER SHAKEUP

NIU’s 2023 roster features seven newcomers. Parys added six transfers and one true freshman in her first offseason.

The newest group of Huskies includes four players that have started at least one match donning NIU’s colors.

Sophomore middle blocker Savanah Brandt – Parys’ first roster addition – joined the Huskies in the spring. The former Belmont University Bruin has started all three matches, recording five kills and eight blocks.

Junior libero Crew Hoffmeier has spent all three matches leading NIU’s back row. After two seasons at Virginia Commonwealth University, Hoffmeier takes over the vacancy created by the departure of 2022 MAC Defensive Player of the Year Francesca Bertucci, who transferred to the University of Alabama in the offseason.

NIU’s hitter group gained eight years of college playing experience with the incoming transfers of graduate student outside hitters Isabelle Percoco (Georgia State University) and Katie Erdmann (Florida Institute of Technology). 

RETURNING TALENT

Of the team’s nine returnees, three were starters last season. Senior setter Ella Mihacevich is back for her second year as the team’s full-time setter.

Shoring up the net for a third season is junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo. The 2022 All-MAC Second Team selection has recorded 90-plus blocks in each of the past two seasons.

Rounding out the returners is senior outside/opposite hitter Emily Dykes. After transferring in last spring, Dykes tallied 241 kills in 2023 – good for third on the team. Dykes has yet to see action in 2023 due to injury.

THE STATE OF AFFAIRS

The Huskies are already three games into their 2023 campaign, starting the year at 0-3 after being swept in their opening weekend.

After facing international and Big Ten talent, NIU has been outpaced by its opponents in nearly every team statistic besides service aces and blocks.

The Huskies have outdone their foes in the serving phase of the game, logging 20 service aces and surrendering 14 service errors.

OUT OF CONFERENCE, ON THE ROAD

NIU will spend the remainder of its out-of-conference stretch on the road, starting with the Wildcat Classic – a four-team tournament also featuring the University of North Carolina Wilmington, Davidson College and Queens University of Charlotte.

Action returns to Illinois Sept. 7-9 as the team takes to Chicago to compete in the DePaul Invitational. The three-day event will feature matchups with DePaul University, the University of Evansville and the University of St. Thomas.

The Huskies close non-conference play with a westbound road trip to Cedar Falls, Iowa. There, the Huskies will battle with the University of Dayton and the University of North Dakota to open the Northern Iowa Tournament on Sept. 15. NIU will close things out with a duel against tournament host University of Northern Iowa the following day.

THE LONE CONSTANT: LEAGUE COMBAT

NIU’s league schedule will commence in late September, beginning with a series against reigning conference champion Bowling Green State University on Sept. 21-22. The Huskies return home the following week for their MAC home opener against Miami University on Sept. 29-30.

The month of October features two home stands and three road trips – including a Tuesday night showdown with Western Michigan University.

Parys will square off against her former team as Toledo visits Victor E. Court for two matches on Nov. 3-4. NIU will then head to Muncie, Indiana, to take a stab at arch-rival Ball State University on Nov. 10-11. 

Regular season action concludes with the finale of a home-and-home with Western Michigan as the Broncos make their way to DeKalb for a Nov. 15 match.