Familiarize yourself with DeKalb culture

A view of downtown DeKalb’s shops and restaurants. DeKalb contains a rich history for students to get involved in. (Northern Star File Photo)

DeKALB – The City of DeKalb contains a rich history and fun after-school activities that give students a break from college life. Step off campus and check out these four local sites. 

FATTY’S

Fatty’s Pub & Grille, located at 1312 Lincoln Highway, is a local favorite, popular with NIU students and athletes. The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating with a menu serving everything from beer nuggets to a ribeye steak dinner. 

From 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Sunday, Fatty’s will be having a Sunday on the Patio Live Music series which will feature solo artists and bands. At 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday, a trivia night on miscellaneous pop culture topics takes place. Playing either as an individual or as a team is permitted. Prizes will be given to winners, and categories can range anywhere from Game of Thrones to the NFL. Those who come in third place pick one of the four trivia topics for next week’s trivia. Check out more events at their website

ELLWOOD HOUSE

The Ellwood House stands as a historic landmark, sitting on 10 acres of DeKalb soil. The house, constructed in 1879, belonged to Isaac Ellwood, a barbed-wire entrepreneur and was handed to the DeKalb Park District in 1965. 

The building has since been turned into a museum where weekly tours of the mansion, Ellcourt House and the ground’s gardens can be viewed. Tickets for the tours can be bought on the Ellwood House’s website and last roughly 60 to 90 minutes. Wine on the Terrace, a wine and dine event with live music, will also take place from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Sept. 16. Tickets are $70, and food and drinks will be provided. Tickets can be purchased through their website

BYERS BREWERS COMPANY

Byers Brewers in downtown DeKalb is a local brewery that also stands as the city’s only family-owned brewery company. At 7 p.m. every Thursday, Brewers hosts an Open Mic Night, free for the general public to attend and participate in. Starting at 7 p.m. every Monday there will be an organized Trivia Night with the two winning teams receiving prizes. There will be events taking place every month and the schedule can be viewed on their website

EGYPTIAN THEATRE 

The Egyptian Theatre has been bringing art and entertainment to DeKalb for decades. Located at 135 N. Second Street, the theatre has remained a preserved, historical site that aims to bring the community together, according to their mission statement

Tours for the theatre can be booked through its website and last one hour, educating on the significance and architecture of the 1928 structure. There are concerts and movies shown every week, perfect for everyone of any age to attend.