Huskies fall flat in road opener finale

NIU drops matches with Davidson, Queens on final day of Wildcat Classic
Tim Cowie
Davidson College sophomore outside hitter Jackie Bardin attacks over the net against NIU graduate student right side hitter Isabelle Percoco and sophomore middle blocker Savanah Brandt during Saturday’s match at John M. Belk Arena in Davidson, North Carolina. The Huskies lost the match 3-1 for their first road defeat. (Tim Cowie | Davidson Athletics)

As the saying goes, “all good things must come to an end.” For NIU volleyball, that end came sooner than the Huskies might have hoped.

NIU – fresh off its first win of the season Friday – was snuffed out on the final day of the Wildcat Classic on Saturday, losing its matches against Davidson College and Queens University of Charlotte at John M. Belk Arena in Davidson, North Carolina.

Both of NIU’s matchups played past three sets, with the Huskies losing to Davidson in four sets, 3-1, and Queens in five sets, 3-2.

LEADERS IN THE LOSSES

Leading NIU’s efforts for the day, junior outside hitter Nikolette Nedic racked up 35 kills between both matches. The first-year full-time starter had 16 kills against Davidson and 19 kills against Queens – both being match-best marks. Nedic has now led NIU in kills in five of its first six matches.

Sophomore outside hitter Nazli Güvener had the second-most NIU kills Saturday, despite only playing in one match. The Ankara, Turkey, native, and the program’s first international player, killed 14 balls against Queens.

Manning the top spot in the Huskies’ backcourt all weekend, junior libero Crew Hoffmeier led both matches in digs. The Virginia Commonwealth University transfer had 25 digs in the first match and 36 digs in the second. She also tacked on 10 assists for the day.

SEEING DOUBLE

Both teams that NIU faced Saturday had a trio of players register double-digit kill performances. Through both matches, the Huskies conceded 116 kills and were outperformed on offense by both of their opponents.

Three Davidson sophomore hitters – Jackie Bardin, Emma Slusser and Anna Withee – logged double-digit kills against the Huskie defense. Bardin led the way with 15.

On Queens’ side of the net, sophomore outside hitter Ellis Sargent and junior right side hitter Alleigh Johnson tied one another with 13 kills each. Trailing their efforts was junior outside hitter Jordyn Johnson, who recorded 12 kills.

IS THIS BASEBALL?

All teams involved in NIU’s two matchups combined for 38 scoring runs of three unanswered points or more. Davidson has 11 scoring runs across four sets compared to NIU’s five. The NIU-Queens duel saw each team pull off 11 scoring spurts.

Combining Friday’s and Saturday’s scoring run totals for matches involving NIU, the calculations show a whopping 61 runs.

DEFEAT AT DAVIDSON

NIU started the final day of the Wildcat Classic against its host, Davidson College — popularly known as the alma mater of NBA superstar Stephen Curry.

Davidson gained an early upper hand with 17 kills on a .217 hitting performance. The NIU response involved containing Davidson to a .028 hitting percentage. NIU denied three Wildcat attacks to give NIU a 25-18 second-set victory.

With the second set win, NIU joined the College of Charleston and the University of North Carolina Wilmington on the short list of teams to take a set from the Wildcats so far this season.

Davidson surged back to win the final two sets, hitting .283 in the third and .382 in the fourth. 

Along with defensive miscues, NIU also struggled to field Davidson services. The Huskies’ back row gave up nine opposing service aces – three from Cougars sophomore defensive specialist/libero Jordan Hummel.

A FALL IN FIVE

The Huskies and Royals both entered their clash with a 1-4 record on the season and had one match remaining on the weekend stretch.

The Royals prevailed in each of the opening two sets by a score of 25-20. In danger of suffering their first sweep, the Huskies shifted gears in the third set. NIU outhit Queens in the third and fourth sets – winning both – to climb level with the Royals and force a fifth set.

The fifth set was controlled by Queens throughout. NIU made matters interesting near the end with a 5-0 run on match point before Güvener’s attack missed its mark. 

NOT QUITE HOME, BUT CLOSE TO IT

NIU will return to Illinois with a 1-5 record and remain there for its next outing. 

For their second road trip of the season, the Huskies take their talents to the Windy City for the DePaul Invitational. NIU will play three matches across three days, starting against tournament host DePaul University.

The first serve is scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday at McGrath-Phillips Arena in Chicago. Live statistics for the match can be monitored on StatBroadcast.