DeKalb’s 18th Kite Fest ready to take flight

Families sit together during the 2017 DeKalb Kite Fest. This year, the festival takes place on Sept. 10. (Northern Star File Photo)

DeKALB – The DeKalb Kite Fest comes back for its 18th year. The fest will take place at 11 a.m. Sept. 10 in the DeKalb Kiwanis Park and will be hosted by the DeKalb Park District.

“The Park District is happy to continue this long-standing DeKalb tradition and bring joy to residents of all ages,” said Superintendent of Recreation Chrissy Tluczek.

The fest is dedicated to kites and features a wide variety of family friendly activities. These activities include giant inflatable kites and recreational kite flying.

Other activities include the sky candy drop in which candy is rained down on participating guests. Candy is donated by Ferrara Candy Company.

Attendees who wish to participate can bring their own kites or purchase them on site. The Park District wishes to keep safety in mind and that glass covered and Manja string is not allowed.

The festival will be hosting a number of pro kite flyers. This will include Al Sparling, Darryl Waters, Anthony Catalano, Team Sky FX, and Team Chicago Kite.

The fest will also feature food vendors and live music. For more information visit the parks website.