Age limits for politicians necessary for representation

Senate+Minority+Leader+Mitch+McConnell+appears+to+be+freeze+while+speaking+on+May+24.+McConnell+and+other+elderly+congress+members+abilities+to+do+their+jobs+are+coming+into+question.+%28Drew+Angerer+%7C+CC+BY-SA+4.0%29+
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell appears to be freeze while speaking on May 24. McConnell and other elderly congress members’ abilities to do their jobs are coming into question. (Drew Angerer | CC BY-SA 4.0)

With the new election cycle coming up and recent political debates, the ages of the people in power have started to be questioned. 

With people like 81-year-old Mitch McConnell appearing to freeze on multiple occasions during his speeches and the front runners for the presidency – Donald Trump, 77 years old, and Joseph Biden, 80 years old – are the oldest ever, questions of their health and how well they can do their job are happening. 

It is obvious that a majority of the people in power in the United States are old. The average age of a US senator is 64.3 years old, and over 73% of Americans believe there should be a maximum age limit on elected officials, according to CNN

If the age limit was 70 years old, 71% of current Senators would be ineligible for president.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein who is 90 years old and has recently been in hot water after she got confused on how to vote during a Senate hearing and had to be helped. 

After this, there have been calls for her resignation and questions of how well these elderly people in power can do their jobs. These struggles show that older politicians often have difficulties doing their jobs. 

Instead, there should be more younger people in office, people who reflect and relate to the ideas of Gen Z and Millennials. 

The presidency is a hard job for anyone regardless of age, but I don’t think people who are 65 or older should be making decisions for the nation. 

Often, older politicians face challenges in the workplace and can lose sight of their constituency, therefore the younger population can feel not represented and like they are not being heard. 

Younger politicians reflect the views of younger people, while also being able to take in mind the view of other, sometimes older, people.