We didn’t start the fire, but we’ll pay for it

An individual kneeling on the ground surrounded by fire, while an established individual turn faces away from them. The image alludes to wealthy individuals turning a blind eye to those in need during the Maui fires crisis. (Robin Gamboa | Northern Star)
Robin Gamboa

Power lines ripped down by hurricane Dora sparked wildfires that ravaged Maui, Hawaii. Drought conditions and strong winds catalyzed the blaze that decimated the region of Lahaina on Aug. 8. 

The death toll has exceeded over 100 people and has displaced thousands, according to CNN

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Oprah Winfrey have launched a rather tasteless fundraising endeavor to help those affected by the fire. 

In a TikTok posted by The Rock, the pair announced the creation of the People’s Fund of Maui and have asked the general public for donations. 

The two have a combined net worth of $2.77 billion but have only donated $10 million dollars combined, according to Business Insider.

Viewers aren’t having it, and it’s hard to blame them.

Common complaints about the group fundraising effort argue that the “people” are not the ones with the money for the fund. The working class of the U.S. does not have disposable income available to assist those in Hawaii, and this sentiment resounds through the comments on the TikTok. 

Oprah says the donation money is given to the people who need it most. 

Commenters emphasize that the money is already in the hands of the people who need it right now. Many commenters lament how they can barely afford bills and groceries. 

Others in the comment section state that both Oprah and The Rock will make more money this month than they will get to see in a year. Several exclaim “You got this!” Words of encouragement for two very wealthy individuals who clearly do not realize the nationwide economic strife individuals face. 

The “People’s Fund of Maui” has not been well received and for good reason. Why ask those who lack the social and financial privilege to bear the responsibility of helping their fellow citizens? There are Americans nationwide who are one natural disaster away from financial ruin. This is not the case for two celebrities with the ability to make significant financial contributions. 

What can The Rock say except “you’re welcome”? He’s doing something, right? Oprah once exclaimed, “You get a car! You get a car!” But you’re out of luck if you need disaster relief.