Huskies take fifth at Redbird Invitational

Ly shines in women’s golf’s first event of season

DeKALB Senior Jasmine Ly picked up where she left off last season in NIU women’s golf’s first tournament of the year, tying for third place in the Redbird Invitational at Illinois State University.

The Huskies finished 18 over par, 882, through three rounds, good enough for fifth place out of sixteen teams. In addition to Ly, the Huskies’ had three other golfers finish top 30.

Bradley University senior Grace Aromando took first place individually while leading her school to a first place finish. Aromando shot 16 under, 200, through three rounds. Bradley (1-over, 865) narrowly inched out Illinois State (2-over, 866) for the victory.

Ly shot 1-under par, 215, through three rounds and shot her best round in round two with a 70. Ly tied with junior Isabelle Lynch of the University of Saint Thomas. 

The Huskies’ recorded the best score of any school in round two, shooting a 286. The Huskies’ second round was the third-best of the entire tournament, only behind South Dakota State University’s round one performance (277) and Illinois State’s round one performance (284).

Senior Emily Romancew tied for 13th place, shooting 6 over par, 222, through three rounds. Romancew’s best round came in the second round with a 70.

Graduate student Sydney Naro tied for 25th place, shooting 8-over par, 224, through three rounds. Naro started off strong, notching her best round in round one with a 70.

Junior Caroline Kent shot 9 over par, 225, through three rounds, good enough to tie for 30th place. Kent’s best performances came in rounds two and three with 73 in each. 

UP NEXT

The Huskies’ next tournament is the Mary Fossum Invitational which takes place all day Sunday and Monday at Forest Akers West in Lansing, Michigan. Live stats are available via Golfstat.