Women’s golf finishes 5th at Colonel Classic

NIU Athletics
Then-junior Emily Romancew swings her driver at the Atlantic Invitational in February of 2023. Romancew finished tied for 21st at the Colonel Classic Tuesday as NIU finished 5th out of 15 teams. (Northern Star File Photo)

NIU women’s golf wrapped up the Colonel Classic tying for fifth-place out of fifteen teams. Senior Jasmine Ly paved the way, finishing tied for eighth-place. 

The Huskies finished the two rounds 27-over par, leaving the tournament with 603 strokes. NIU started slow, shooting a 306 in the first round, but improved to 297 in the second round – the lowest team score of the second round. 

After finishing tied for eighth-place, this marks Ly’s fifth-straight tournament with a top-ten finish. Ly left the first round shooting a 73, her best score of the tournament. She left the tournament shooting a 76 in the second round. 

Finishing tied for eleventh-place, NIU’s second golfer was graduate student Sydney Naro. Naro opened the tournament with a score of 78 in the first round, but improved by six strokes to 72 in the second round. 

Senior Emily Romancew was the third golfer for the Huskies, logging a tie for 21st place. Romancew finished the first round shooting a 73, but a score of 79 in the second round bit Romancew.

Junior Caroline Kent finished fourth for the Huskies after tying for 26th place. Kent had a 13-stroke difference between the two rounds, shooting an 83 in the first. In the second round Kent tied the tournament-low score of 70.

Rounding out the Huskies lineup was junior Jóhanna Lea Lúðvíksdóttir, tying for 80th place. Lúðvíksdóttir finished the first round with a score of 82 and left the tournament shooting an 83 in the second round. 

UP NEXT 

The Huskies next tournament is the Oral Roberts Spring Invite, a two-day event stretching from Monday to Tuesday in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.