Women’s golf finishes fourth at BGSU Women’s Intercollegiate

NIU women’s golf opened the spring season finishing in fourth place Wednesday at the Bowling Green State University Women’s Intercollegiate. Senior Jasmine Ly paved the way for the Huskies, finishing tied for sixth place. 

The Huskies also had two other golfers log top-15 finishes. Senior Emily Romancew finished tied for 10th place and graduate student Sydney Naro finished tied for 14th place.

Ly finished with a score of 223, 10-over par. Ly finished tied with Grand Canyon University sophomore Ryan Flynn and University of Idaho freshman Emma Kang. 

Ly opened the tournament with her lowest score, shooting a 71 in the first round. A score of 78 in the second round bit Ly, but she bounced back with a 74 in the third round. Ly missed the top-five by one stroke. 

Romancew shot a 76 in the first round and followed it up with a 78 in the second. Thanks to a score of 71 in the third round, Romancew moved up 11 spots in the leaderboard, securing the top-ten finish. 

Naro finished third out of the NIU golfers. Naro left the first round with 74 strokes – her lowest of the tournament – and parlayed it with 75 strokes in the second round. A score of 79 in the third round sabotaged Naro, forcing her to plummet seven spots in the leaderboard. 

In the third tournament of her college career, freshman Eva Nijenhuis finished tied for 45th place with a score of 241 – her third event in a row with a score of 241. Nijenhuis shot a 79 in the first round and shot an 82 in the second. She finished the tournament with 80 strokes in the third round. 

Rounding out NIU’s lineup was junior Jóhanna Lúðvíksdóttir, who finished tied for 51st place. Lúðvíksdóttir finished the first and third round with a score of 82. Her tournament low score of 79 came in the second round. 

The Huskies next event is the Northern Arizona University Red Rocks Invitational, an all day event stretching from March 16 to March 17. The tournament is held at the Oakcreek Country Club in Sedona, Arizona.