Updates to Hopkins Park in progress

Katie Drum
A digital mockup shows plans for the updated pickleball courts at Hopkins Park. The park is undergoing various renovations and updates, including new pickleball courts, playground and plans to update the pool. (Courtesy of the DeKalb Park District)

Updates to Hopkins Park in progressThe DeKalb Park District’s Hopkins Park is getting renovations starting this September.  

“Our vision for Hopkins Park has always been to create an inclusive and dynamic community space that encourages healthy lifestyles and social connections,” said DeKalb Park District Executive Director John Shea Jr.   

The first of the planned projects will be the overhaul of the park’s sporting areas. This will begin with the replacement of the tennis courts with courts dedicated to pickleball. 

Pickleball is a combination of tennis, badminton and table tennis and is played on smaller courts. 

The Park District is also planning on increasing its accessibility and ADA compliance. This will make the area more open to people with disabilities. 

The district is hoping to finish the construction this fall but admits it will take until next year. 

The park plans to update the playground and aims to have the grand opening in summer 2024. 

There are also plans to update Hopkins Pool, but designs are not yet finalized. The district hopes to have the design chosen by next year. 

According to Shea, the current plan is to have the pool renovation ready for the summer 2025 season. 

To get more information about upcoming Park District projects, visit their website or call 815-768-6663.