Sister Cindy slutshames the crowd

Samba in the Commons
Rachel Cormier
Sister Cindy, a Christian advocate, preaches to the crowd of NIU students. Sister Cindy visited NIU’s campus Monday afternoon at the MLK Commons. (Rachel Cormier | Northern Star)

DeKALB – With a microphone in one hand and a Bible in the other, Sister Cindy made noise in the MLK Commons Monday.

Cindy Smock, known as “Sister Cindy,” is a Christian advocate who preaches against promiscuity. Smock gained attention on TikTok during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic from touring colleges nation-wide to promote her “ho no mo revolution.”

With a following of 425,000 followers on TikTok, she’s gathered an avid audience through her bold and no filter preachings that guide college girls to close their legs and men to “say no to ho’s.”

Smock began her sermon at noon by offering advice against “vampire hoes” on campus, which she later explained were girls with red solo cups who suck the innocence out of good Christian men. 

Male students were warned against bringing their girlfriends to Mexican restaurants in fear of what could happen if they were to order a margarita. 

“If you buy her one margarita, she will spread her legs. If you buy her two margaritas, she will pounce right on your penis,” Smock said. “Whatever you do boys, don’t buy her three margaritas. She will grab your penis and put it in her mouth, and then – you’ll have a slobbery penis.” 

Any more drinks and Smock warned boys they’d be pegging for more than they originally wanted.

Smock stayed until 5 p.m. handing out “Ho No Mo” buttons to audience members and quizzing her growing audience with biblical questions. Despite the range in reactions, she always stopped to give a selfie.

While a crowd gathered for selfies and slutshaming, on the steps of the commons, bossa nova rhythms and Carnival dancers kept a different beat going.

Chicago Samba, a Chicago-based music ensemble that specializes in Brazilian dance music, was invited by the Latino Resource Center as a part of the center’s “Sounds like” musical series that celebrates Latino music for National Hispanic Heritage Month.

“Samba is the national Brazilian music and there are like 20 different ways of playing samba, including bossa nova – bossa nova’s a mix between jazz and samba,” said Moacyr Marchini, director of Chicago Samba.

From noon to 1 p.m. the performers livened up the afternoon grabbing passing students to join them in a Samba lesson or to shake a tambourine or beat a tamborim, a small Brazilian drum, for a song.

Chicago Samba performers danced and shook their tail feathers, dressed head to toe in sequins and brightly colored feathers for Carnival. The Brazilian holiday is celebrated in February and March where thousands of people flood the streets to party before Lent.

The Latino Resource Center will be hosting events for the rest of National Hispanic Heritage Month with an online virtual event, “Making the MexiRican City: a Mexican and Puerto Rican Migration” tomorrow from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.