Homecoming unites campus and city

(Courtesy of Northern Illinois University)
Victor E. Huskie waves at the camera in front of Altgeld Hall. The upcoming 116th Homecoming at NIU will be a great opportunity to exhibit Huskie pride. (Courtesy of Northern Illinois University)

NIU students are in for a week of spirited celebrations from Oct. 8 to Oct. 15. This is a great chance for students to show their Huskie pride and get excited about both their alma mater and the lively city of DeKalb.

NIU’s homecoming isn’t just a time to celebrate current and former students. It’s about celebrating the whole NIU community and the city of DeKalb.

“It really is for anybody who has a love and a passion about NIU,” said Matt Streb, chief strategy officer for NIU and Homecoming chairman in a Northern Star interview.

The 116th homecoming is coming up, and the festivities are tailor-made to leave students buzzing with excitement and school pride. 

A week of celebrations honoring the shared Huskie spirit starts at MLK Commons where there will be a friendly get-together with a delicious spread of tailgate-themed food. From trike riding to outdoor yard games, this event promises active, hands-on fun. It’s a great way to unwind, de-stress and enjoy some lighthearted competition.

From 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 12, downtown DeKalb will be the place to be. There will be a block party, lively pep rally, a variety of food trucks, a classic car show, a fun area for kids and the much-anticipated “March of the Huskies” parade will all be part of the event. It’s an opportunity for students with families, or those looking for family-oriented activities, to have a blast together.

The most exciting part of the evening will be the introduction of a new statue that will stay in downtown DeKalb for good. Not only is it artistic, but it also shows how strong the connection is between NIU and the community.

From 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 13, a tasting event with the Bold Spirits of DeKalb County at Jonamac Orchard will be one of a kind experience for people 21 and up. People who attend will be able to try Huskie-themed cocktails made by local distillers. The tasting event offers a unique opportunity to explore and savor beverages from DeKalb County’s local breweries, wineries and distilleries. It’s a chance to discover the flavors of your community and support local businesses.

Students, staff, alumni and people from the community at large are all welcome during homecoming week, everyone belongs.

There is something fun for everyone, like enjoying the warmth of the Huskies S’mores N’more bonfire or having breakfast with Victor E. Huskie and Mission III. These events are great ways to meet other Huskies and make memories that will last a lifetime.

NIU has the longest running homecoming in Illinois. Get ready to feel the Huskie pride that will fill DeKalb throughout homecoming week.