Impeachment inquiry against Biden is pointless

Joe Biden and son Hunter Biden innocently shake hands, but a woman in the background peers at them with suspicion. Senior Opinion Columnist Emily Beebe believes the impeachment inquiry into Joe Biden regarding Hunter Biden’s actions is baseless and unnecessary. (Daniela Barajas | Northern Star)
Daniela Barajas

In the height of the 2024 election, another jab from Republicans has been taken at Democrats. President Joe Biden has an impeachment inquiry against him. However, this is very unnecessary and brings more drama to an already contested election season.

Lacking substantive evidence of misconduct, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s misguided attempt to undermine the Biden administration threatens to further divide an already polarized nation.

Republicans are probing business dealings of Hunter Biden that occurred prior to when the president took office, according to the Associated Press.

Biden should not be potentially impeached for reasons that aren’t high crimes or misdemeanors.

With no clear legal or factual basis, this move to impeach Biden appears more as a calculated political maneuver aimed at undermining Biden’s agenda than a legitimate pursuit of justice.

Partisan conflicts between Democrats and Republicans have been going on for a long time, with studies showing that there have been very contested and controversial elections in the past.

Since 2012, Americans have been more likely to say there are strong conflicts between Democrats and Republicans. This divide is comparable to conflicts between other groups in U.S. society, such as different socioeconomic groups, people of different ages and people of different races, according to the Pew Research Center.

In order to have an effective government, Republicans and Democrats must work together. However, these political parties have differing opinions and methods on how to enact legislation. At the end of the day, all Americans want an effective government.

The impeachment inquiry against Biden shows the Republicans’ true colors. Instead of focusing on critical issues such as climate change or gun control, McCarthy and the Republicans indulge in political grandstanding that serves only to distract and divide.

NIU political science professor Scot Schraufnagel believes that impeachment is not being used for its intended purpose.

“He (Biden) should not be impeached because it is an abuse of the impeachment provisions within the Constitution,” Schraufnagel said. “Impeachment was not intended to be this political gamesmanship.”

McCarthy’s impeachment inquiry into President Biden is a complete waste of time. Politicians should not abuse their power, especially because they are required to follow the provisions set in the Constitution.

In the absence of a genuine scandal or wrongdoing, McCarthy’s actions divert attention from pressing national issues and throw the functioning of our government into disarray. As citizens, we must demand our elected officials prioritize the needs of the American people over their personal ambitions. Only then can Americans hope to rebuild trust, foster unity and shape a better future for our nation.