Editorial: Northern Star apologizes to Paul McCartney 54 years later

An illustration of Paul McCartney sits under the words “Paul Lives on!” The Northern Star Editorial Board apologizes to the singer for encouraging false rumors of his death. (Eleanor Gentry | Northern Star)
Eleanor Gentry

The Northern Star Editorial Board would like to sincerely apologize to Paul McCartney, a musical icon, for our false Sept. 23, 1969, print issue that unethically speculated that he was dead.

A 1969 Northern Star publication shows an article speculating if Paul McCartney is alive. (Bridgette Fox | Northern Star)

In 2004, the Star finally decided to yield to the truth that McCartney is not dead in an article covering the sordid history of the “Paul is dead” rumors.

However, it has recently come to light that our infamous 1969 article was plagiarized from a Times-Delphic article written a week prior to our article. The Times-Delphic is the student-run newspaper of Drake University.

To the Times-Delphic, we sincerely apologize for plagiarizing your journalistic efforts.

An 1969 article from the Times-Delphic, Drake University’s student newspaper, shows an article speculating on the status of Paul McCartney’s death. (Courtesy of Drake University Archives & Special Collections)

With our 1969 publication, we helped support the untrue, international conspiracy theory that McCartney had been replaced by a lookalike. For that, the Northern Star would like to apologize – even if it comes 54 years late.

We understand the annoyance that McCartney reported in multiple interviews regarding the rumor. We truly apologize for our contribution to supporting  an unfounded conspiracy theory.

The Northern Star is dedicated to ethical and intelligent reporting, and our 1969 article is antithetical to that mission. Our editorial board is committed to ensuring that the current staff will not be involved in irresponsible journalism.

For more coverage of the infamous 1969 article, you can find our 2004 return to the rumor on our website.