Men’s soccer vs Loyola ruled no-contest

Scott Walstrom
Junior forward Taisei Arima battles for the ball during men’s soccer’s game against Missouri State University on Sept. 16. The Huskies were shut out by the Bears by a final score of 3-0. (Scott Walstrom | NIU Athletics)

DeKALB – After two lightning delays, 38 minutes of play and two goals from the Loyola University Chicago Ramblers (5-1-2, 1-0-1 A10), the match between NIU men’s soccer (2-6, 0-2 MVC) and the Ramblers was ruled a no contest due to lightning. 

After a slow start for both teams, Loyola senior forward Oscar Dueso put the first goal away for the Ramblers in the 23rd minute, with the assist from senior midfielder Julian Cisneros. Dueso found the back of the net again in the 28th minute, leading the Ramblers to a 2-0 advantage. 

The Huskies saw only one shot on goal during the match, coming from sophomore midfielder Angel Rodriguez.

Loyola graduate goalkeeper Lucas Daunhauer faced only one shot on goal, but did not notch a save due to the work of the Rambler defense. NIU freshman goalkeeper Atahan Arslan recorded two saves, despite allowing two goals.

The Ramblers led the Huskies in shots, outshooting NIU 6-3. Loyola also held a 4-1 advantage in shots on goal, with four of its six shots staying on target. 

NIU plays next at 7 p.m. Monday at the Marquette University Valley Fields against Marquette University. The game will be streamed on FloSports, and SideArm Stats will be providing live stats.