NIU hockey working to complete puzzle

Zimmerman: “We’re a bunch of pieces, and we’re working towards being a puzzle”
Beverly Buchinger
Freshman forward Robbie Zimmerman and junior forward Jay Kliment celebrate a goal during NIU hockey’s game against Kent State University on Sept. 16. NIU lost the game by a final score of 4-3. (Beverly Buchinger | NIU hockey)

DeKALB – A losing streak, power play issues and the search for team chemistry is on the minds of NIU hockey heading into its two-game road series this weekend. 

The Huskies are in the midst of a season-opening four-game losing streak, including last weekend’s 4-0 and 4-2 losses to the University of Illinois. 

LITTLE VICTORIES

Despite the team’s struggles, the Huskies have started to build better chemistry with each other. 

“We’re starting to kind of mesh our three lines,” senior forward Matt Martin said. “We’re starting to gel as a team. We understand how each other plays a little more – certain tendencies.” 

With multiple new players taking the ice this season, finding the right fits has taken time.

Freshman forward Robbie Zimmerman said when the right fit is found, the team will get back on track. 

“Right now, we’re a bunch of pieces, and we’re working towards being a puzzle,” Zimmerman said. “I think that when that happens, and everybody starts clicking, we’re going to be a force to deal with.” 

NO POWER

A major area of concern for NIU has been the power play, which has yet to convert through the first four games of the season. 

The issues on the man advantage have been a focal point for the Huskies at practice, and they are looking to turn the scoring chances generated by the power play into goals on the scoreboard.

“The opportunities are there, just the goals aren’t there,” Zimmerman said. “I think we need to work on maybe a couple set plays that lead to easier goals and, at the end of the day, just finish opportunities.” 

Martin said the squad needs to take advantage of penalty-heavy games in order to be successful going forward.

“In this league, there’s a lot of penalties called regardless on a team. So, you have a chance to be on the power play a lot,” Martin said. “It’s really crucial that you take advantage and capitalize because it can be the difference between winning and losing.” 

IN NEED OF A BOOST

Heading into its third weekend set of the season, the Huskies know the importance of finding their its first win to breathe a sigh of relief. 

“It (getting a win) would mean a lot,” Martin said. “Get it out of the way, kind of, monkey off the back then starting division play next weekend. Have some momentum.”

If NIU can find its first win this weekend, Zimmerman said it will be the first domino to fall to begin a streak of success. 

“Once we get that one taste of that win, I think the floodgates can really open up,” Zimmerman said. “I think that on paper, we’re better than teams that we’re playing. And I think once we pull that together on the ice, I think that that one win could really open up the gates to a bunch of wins in a row. 

OFF TO KALAMAZOO

NIU kicks off its weekend on the road against the Western Michigan University Stallions (1-4) at 9 p.m. ET Friday and finishes the series at 3:15 p.m. ET Saturday at Wings West Ice Arena in Kalamazoo, Michigan. 

Both games will be streamed on the Stallion Hockey Club YouTube channel.