Ly ties NIU single round record

Huskies place 11th out of 13 teams despite Ly’s record-tying day
Bill Salyer
Senior golfer Jasmine Ly following through on her swing on Tuesday. Ly finished in a tie for third place at the Redbird Invitational. (Bill Salyer | Illinois State Athletics)

DeKALB – Senior Jasmine Ly tied the record for the lowest round scored in NIU history with a 67 in Round 2 at the Johnie Imes Invitational hosted by the University of Missouri. 

Ly was the Huskies’ top golfer, finishing in a tie for 14th place, shooting two over par, 218, through three rounds. After shooting a 67 in Round 2, Ly was locked in a tie for second place with Lipscomb junior Lauren Thompson heading into the final round. Ly struggled in Round 3, shooting a 79 and dropping to 14th out of 73 golfers. 

The Huskies were unable to capitalize on Ly’s historic performance, finishing 11th out of 13 teams. NIU shot 20 over par in Round 1, shot one under par in Round 2 and shot 23 over par in Round 3. For the tournament, the Huskies finished 42 over par, 906, through three rounds.

“Great round by Jaz (Ly) on Tuesday leading us to one of our best team scores of the year, but we were only able to put together one good round out of three overall,” said NIU women’s golf head coach Kim Kester via NIU Athletics. “We have two weeks off to regroup and hopefully end the fall on a high note.”

Senior Emily Romancew was the only other Huskie to finish in the top 50, finishing in a tie for 35th place. Romancew shot 9 over par, 225, through three rounds. Romancew’s best round came in Round 2, shooting a 72. 

Lipscomb University took first place, shooting a four under par, 860, through three rounds. Lipscomb had two golfers place in the top three. Thompson posted a 7 under par, 209, through three rounds en route to a first place finish. Freshman Foong Zi Yu finished in a third place tie, shooting five under par, 213, through three rounds.

The University of Missouri finished in second place in the tournament and had four golfers place in the top 10. Sophomore Melanie Walker led the Tigers, finishing in second place shooting 5 under par, 211, through three rounds. Missouri also posted the best round of the tournament with a 278 in Round 2. 

LOOKING AHEAD

The Huskies’ next tournament is the FIU Pat Bradley Invitational which takes place all day Oct. 14 through Oct. 16 at the Lakewood Ranch Golf & Country Club in Lakewood Ranch, Florida. Live stats are available via Golfstat.