Women’s Basketball gains experienced assistant coach

Nyla Owens
Huskies guard Janae Poisson (22) high fives her teammates before a timeout during the team’s game against Eastern Michigan on March 1 at the NIU Convocation Center. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

DeKALB– Women’s basketball Head Coach Lisa Carlsen announced Imani Gordon as the new assistant coach.

Before coming to coach at NIU, Gordon spent the last six seasons at Notre Dame College where she served as assistant coach for four seasons and head coach for two seasons. 

While Gordon served as an assistant coach, NDC was 78-32 with a 60-22 Mountain East Conference record. NDC won 26 games, reached the conference tournament title game and qualified for the NCAA Division II Tournament in 2020. In their 2020-2021 season, they reached the MEC tournament semifinal for the third time in four years. Gordon also made the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Thirty Under 30 list three times.

In her first season as head coach at NDC, the Falcons were 15-14 with a 13-9 record in the MEC. The Falcons earned a spot in the conference tournament where they reached the semifinals.

“I want to thank Lisa for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to continue to do what I love,” Gordon said in an NIU Athletics press release. “She has done a great job of building a successful program and I look forward to continuing that success, as well as contributing to future MAC championships. I can’t wait to work with these amazing student-athletes and staff.”

Gordon played collegiately herself and served as a graduate assistant coach for Cleveland State University. While playing for CSU, Gordon was a three time All-Horizon League selection. In 2015, Gordon had over 16 points a game with an average of 6.7 rebounds per game. At the end of her time with CSU, Gordon was a top-10 player of all time in scoring and rebounding.

“We are excited to welcome Imani to the Huskie family,” Carlsen said in the press release. “She brings valuable experience to our program both as an exceptional player at the Division I level as well as her coaching background.”