Huskies ground RedHawks for first home win

Volleyball draws victory at Victor E.
Junior+outside+hitter+Nikolette+Nedic+rises+up+to+spike+a+ball+against+Miami+University+at+Victor+E.+Court.+The+Huskies+defeated+the+RedHawks+3-2+on+Friday.+%28Ryanne+Sandifer+%7C+Northern+Star%29+
Ryanne Sandifer
Junior outside hitter Nikolette Nedic rises up to spike a ball against Miami University at Victor E. Court. The Huskies defeated the RedHawks 3-2 on Friday. (Ryanne Sandifer | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Victor E. Court was overtaken Friday by glimmering lights, the iconic tune of the Huskie Fight Song and deafening cheers, all indicative of one result: an NIU volleyball win.

NIU junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo pounced on match point in a five-set MAC battle to deliver a swift kill that pushed NIU to its second win in a row. The Huskies (4-11, 2-1 MAC) outlasted the Miami University RedHawks (4-11, 0-3 MAC) in five sets, 18-25, 25-23, 23-25, 25-17, 15-12, in a successful defense of their home court.

NIU volleyball head coach Sondra Parys secured her first win in Victor E. Court since taking the Huskies’ head coaching job in December. Parys described her first experience coaching at the Huskies’ traditional home as an atypical one.

“There was a new energy that we haven’t felt, and I think that is really something we felt in the first set,” Parys said. ”It was like, ‘woah, we’ve got to get used to playing in here,’ as well, even though it was home court. It was something different.”

DOUBLES AND QUADRUPLES

Atiemo, senior opposite/outside hitter Emily Dykes and junior outside hitter Nikolette Nedic each took home double-figure kills. Dykes tallied an NIU-best 15 kills and no errors on .500 hitting.

Junior libero Crew Hoffmeier eclipsed 1,000 career digs in the match’s opening set. The Louisville, Kentucky, native produced a match-best 23 digs to move her current career total to 1,019.

“Super proud of her,” Parys said. “We thought it was coming, but that wasn’t the focus, and I think I’m just so proud … that it happened here. She’s constantly pushing every single game to be her best self, and I have no doubt there will be many, many more (digs) to come. Excited to celebrate her after a win.”

NIU’s setting duo of senior Ella Mihacevich and junior Sophie Hurt each recorded 20-plus assists for the second consecutive match.

On the defensive front, NIU registered 11 team blocks while being confronted with three RedHawk double-digit kill performances, including double-doubles from Miami outside hitters sophomore Ellie Hanson and freshman Chelsea Williams.

GOODBYE, MIAMI

NIU began the night as the chaser after falling 25-18 in the opening set. The ensuing two frames were decided by 25-23 scores, each side taking a set. NIU responded to Miami’s third-set win with its most decisive victory of the match. The Huskies manufactured .406 hitting on their way to a 25-17 claim of Set 4.

Miami embarked on a 4-0 run through the side-switch in Set 5 to move to a 9-6 advantage. The Huskies’ fifth-set comeback was set up by a quartet of Dykes kills in the final six rallies. Dykes’ final two terminations – occurring consecutively – set Atiemo up for her successful shot to expel Miami from NIU territory.

“I didn’t even think about it,” Atiemo said. “It’s just like ‘I did it,’ and we finished the game. It was a fun moment.”

The final result makes the Huskies winners of their past three meetings with the RedHawks. NIU will finish its series with Miami at 3 p.m Saturday at Victor E. Court. The match will be aired on NIU All-Access. Live statistics will be available on SIDEARM Sports.