Contest brings van new name

By Linda Warchal

NIU’s Handivan, the van which provides services for students with disabilities, has been renamed “Freedommobile.”

Services for Students with Disabilities sponsored a contest in September to rename the Handivan service.

NIU graduate student Peter Gogola, who won the contest Friday evening, said he gave much thought to the name. “It encompasses the actual purpose of the van and also the spirit of it,” he said.

Gogola said he doesn’t know if the name will amount to much, but if it “makes people feel better about themselves,” then it is worth it, Gogola said.

Linn Sorge, coordinator for Services for Students with Disabilities, said she encouraged the renaming of the van. The Handivan name had negative connotations, Sorge said. Also, the name Handivan implied the van was handicapped, which is definitely not the case, she added.

Sorge also said the contest was held in accordance with the improved system, which now runs on schedule with the Huskie line.

Sorge said it was hard to choose a winner from the 28 entries. The name Freedommobile was chosen because it implies riders have more freedom and mobility, she said.

George Abbott, Student Association mass transit board member, brought the contest information to the attention of the board.

He said the name did not bother him personally, but he saw the negative connotations which could be associated with it.

“The whole focus (of the name) is to give meaning as to what the van is, without the negative connotation,” Abbott said.