Krammer dazzles for men’s golf at Badger Invitational

Then-sophomore Ben Sluzas watches hit shot at the MAC championship from April 30 to May 2. The Huskies won the MAC championship to advance to the NCAA Regional. (Taylor Strnad)

DeKALB – After a slow start, NIU men’s golf rallied to finish tied for ninth place behind a top-five finish from junior Felix Krammer. Krammer finished the tournament five under par and tied for fourth place individually. 

The Huskies opened the tournament two over par, getting out of the first round with 290 strokes. In the second round, NIU shot a 293 and dropped to tied for 11th place. A tournament low score of 284 in the third round hoisted the Huskies into tied for ninth place. 

Krammer finished the first round of the tournament matching his season low score of 69 in the first round, followed by a 73 in the second round. With a score of 69 in the third round, Krammer sealed the top-five finish. 

Junior Ben Sluzas finished as NIU’s second golfer, finishing tied for 35th place. Sluzas started the tournament slow shooting a 76 – his worst round score on the season. Sluzas then improved to a score of 72, finishing at even par following the second round. 

Sluzas rounded out the tournament shooting a 69, his tournament low.

Graduate Zach Place was NIU’s third best golfer, finishing tied for 49th. Place shot a 72 in each of the first two rounds. He finished the tournament shooting a 76 in the third round. 

Finishing tied for 52nd place, graduate Josh Kirkham was NIU’s fourth-best golfer. Kirkham logged 73 strokes in the first round. Kirkham finished the tournament with a score of 76 in the second round and 72 in the third round. 

After getting his first start, freshman Craig Long rounded out the Huskies lineup. Long shot a 79 in the first round, but was sabotaged by a round three score of 84. Long finished the tournament with his lowest score, shooting a 74.

UP NEXT 

The Huskies next tournament is the Purdue Fall Invitational, an all day event ranging from Oct. 9 through Oct. 10. The tournament is at the Ackerman-Allen Golf Course in West Lafayette, Indiana. Live stats will be available through GolfStat.