Taylor’s out of Kelce’s league

(AP Photo/Adam Hunger)
From left: Taylor Swift, Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman react during the first quarter of an NFL football game between the New York Jets and the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday in East Rutherford, N.J. Opinion Columnist Alberto Briones believes Swift is out of Kelce’s league. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger)

During the last two NFL games, Taylor Swift’s appearance in the box suite of Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce generated significant attention and cultural buzz. Regarding career achievements and global impact, Swift’s success surpasses Kelce’s. While Kelce is undoubtedly a talented NFL player, Swift’s impact on the entertainment world is on a global scale.

While Kelce’s romance with Swift has attracted attention, consider the lyrics: “But in your life, you’ll do things greater than / dating the boy on the football team.” These lyrics from Swift’s “Fifteen (Taylor’s Version)” remind fans that celebrity relationships like Swift and Kelce’s can eclipse more significant achievements and efforts. 

Swift knows how to achieve greatness beyond personal relationships, and it’s important not to let a high-profile romance deflect any of her accomplishments.

This unexpected crossover between the pop icon – known for filling stadiums and declining a Super Bowl halftime show invitation – and an NFL star intrigued Swift’s dedicated fanbase.

While those who don’t follow football may not be familiar with Travis Kelce, he was voted the No. 10 player on the “Top 100 Players of 2022” rankings, according to the NFL.

Although Kelce is well-known in American football, there’s no denying his current affiliation with Swift and the media coverage it has garnered has raised his global profile marginally.

In a recent episode of his podcast “New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce,” Kelce shared details about his first public outing with Swift after the Kansas City Chiefs game on Sept. 24.

Kelce expressed his enjoyment of the weekend and praised Swift for joining his family and friends in his Arrowhead Stadium suite during the game. Kelce noted that everyone in the suite had positive things to say about Swift, and her presence added to the excitement of the Chiefs’ 41-10 win over the Chicago Bears.

One thing is becoming increasingly clear: Kelce is the one reaping the benefits. Kelce’s podcast with his brother has shot up the charts and is now the No.1 show on Apple Podcasts. Swifties and football enthusiasts are likely tuning in for any tidbits about the potential romance.

Following their public appearance, Kelce’s jerseys saw a significant surge in sales, with a nearly 400% increase, making him one of the top-selling NFL players according to the Associated Press, the NFL’s online retailer.

Clearly, the Swiftie effect, as it’s known, has taken the sports world by storm. Kelce’s social media presence has skyrocketed practically overnight, gaining him over half a million new Instagram followers. 

Kelce is currently basking in the radiance of Swift’s great star power. It’s about time Kelce’s followers recognized the magnitude of Swift’s influence on his career. Swift is in a league of her own in terms of talent and influence, and Kelce is privileged to be linked with her.

Swifties are supporting the relationship and contributing to the increased demand for Kelce’s jerseys. Merchandise featuring both the singer and the NFL star is also becoming increasingly popular, with numerous items popping up for sale on Etsy

The success of Swift/Kelce products on sites like Etsy is evidence of the positive effects of bringing together fan bases. It’s encouraging to see how this association is helping Kelce’s career and item sales while also inspiring fan creativity.

To emphasize Kelce’s reputation, Swifties have playfully teased football fans by suggesting that “Taylor Swift put Travis Kelce on the map.” This has led to passionate defenses of Kelce’s accomplishments, including winning two Super Bowls with the Chiefs, most recently in Super Bowl LVII.

Swift’s enormous popularity benefits not only herself, as evidenced by the estimated $1 billion in revenue from her Eras tour, as reported by Fortune, but also the people and products she associates with. While Kelce isn’t the first to gain from Swift’s fame, his newfound relationship is moving him toward being a recognized household figure, thanks in large part to her influence.