SGA approves 6 new organizations

Rachel Cormier
The Student Government Association sign hangs on a wall located in the Holmes Student Center ground floor in the OASIS space. SGA approved six new student student organizations on Friday. (Rachel Cormier | Northern Star)

DeKALB – The Student Government Association approved six new student organizations during its Friday meeting.

New organizations are the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Huskie Bass Fishing Team, Aerospace, Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science, Black Counselors Association and the Multiracial Student Union.

SGA Director of organizational development James Innis advocated the importance of student organizations and urged senators to send anyone interested in starting a new organization to speak with him.

“As soon as students have a home here, it makes them want to stay here,” Innis said. “Leaving a legacy at NIU for other students to find a place where they belong.”

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.