Why ‘The Morning Show’ is unmissable

(From left) Michael Ellenberg, Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Billy Crudup and Mimi Leder sitting at a panel in 2020 with the name of their series, “The Morning Show,” in yellow letters behind them. The Apple+ show is on their third season with episodes releasing weekly. (Willy Sanjuan/Invision/AP)

As its third season unfolds, “The Morning Show” continues to be one of the most culturally relevant shows on TV. Here’s why you should move it to the top of your watchlist.

The series premiered in 2019 on Apple TV+ and stars Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Mark Duplass, Billy Crudup, with recurring performances from Steve Carell, Martin Short and Jon Hamm. The star-studded show follows the seemingly never-ending chaos faced by a major television news outlet, covering modern issues such as sexual misconduct, political division, workplace politics, sexism and suicide.

On paper, it almost sounds overly ambitious for a TV series to even attempt to adequately explore so many different pertinent issues. However, “The Morning Show” manages to accomplish all that it sets out to do and does so astonishingly well.

The catalyst that set the first season off on a spiral of dread and anxiety is one that’s all too present in real life: Beloved longtime morning news show anchor Mitch Kessler (Carell) is accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women.

Inevitably, this bombshell sets off a chain reaction of events. His co-anchor Alex Levy (Aniston) is left to pick up the pieces, forced to publicly grapple with the shame and embarrassment of Kessler’s scandal. Soon after, a local small-town reporter Bradley Jackson (Witherspoon) is swooped up by network executives and groomed to be Kessler’s replacement.

In its first two seasons, “The Morning Show” offers a rare, unconventional glimpse into the perspective of a male celebrity struck down by the #MeToo Movement. Complex issues like power dynamics, gender discrimination and consent are tackled. The show’s strength, however, is that it raises questions about these issues without straining to answer them. 

While the media exposes Kessler for his inappropriate actions, audiences are treated to his confusion and bewilderment of the backlash. He maintains he was ignorant and unaware of his wrongdoing, desperately pleading his case to anyone who will listen. 

Now, in the midst of season three, things have changed. The cruel, unrelenting nature of network news has thrown each character into an unpredictable survival-of-the-fittest dynamic, chewing up and spitting out anyone who can’t maintain a perfect, flawless reputation.

With the shocking events that concluded season two, “The Morning Show” is now venturing head-first into unpredictable territory, making it one of the most unmissable events of the fall TV season. 

The series can be watched on Apple TV+, with season three episodes releasing weekly.