‘The Caucasian Chalk Circle’ on stage now

Black and orange text says “The Caucasian Chalk Circle” and sits inside a ring. The play will be playing in the Black Box Theater. (Courtesy of the College of Visual and Preforming Arts)

A new adaptation of “The Caucasian Chalk Circle” will be presented at The Black Box Theater in the Stevens Building at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 13, Oct. 14, Oct. 19 and Oct. 20, and at 2 p.m. on Oct. 15 and Oct. 21.

NIU’s School of Theatre and Dance is presenting the adaptation by Alexander Gelman, director of the play, and wants to leave viewers with a different understanding of what it means to be an audience member. Gelman adds imagery, rhymes and songs to this new version to immerse the audience into each scene. The play intends to engage the audience’s mind and have them question the structures of society in everyday life.

Tickets are free for NIU students, $12 for non-NIU students, $18 for seniors and NIU staff and $20 for the general public. To purchase tickets, visit the NIU College of Visual and Performing Arts’ website.

Free and accessible parking is available in the NIU Visitor Parking Lot or the parking garage in front of the Stevens Building. The building is wheelchair accessible, and accessible seating can be accessed by contacting [email protected].