Volleyball’s Atiemo named MAC West Defensive Player of the Week

Ariyonna McGahee
Junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo (11) serves a hit toward Eastern Michigan’s team on Thursday. Atiemo was named the MAC West Defensive Player of the Week on Monday. (Ariyonna McGahee | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo has received MAC West Defensive Player of the Week after her stifling defensive performance throughout NIU volleyball’s homecoming series, the conference announced Monday.

Atiemo totaled 11 blocks during NIU’s home series against Eastern Michigan University on Thursday and Friday. She contributed three solo blocks and three blocks assists toward the Huskies’ season-best 15-block effort during Thursday’s match.

“I am proud to see Charli get honored this week as blocking has been an intentional focus of growth for her this fall,” said NIU volleyball head coach Sondra Parys in an NIU Athletics news release. “She has stayed the course in our training and continues to come in, wanting to be better. The results reflect her hard work and what has specifically helped the entire team succeed.”

The Milford, Michigan, native paces the MAC with 80 team blocks and is averaging 1.03 blocks per set – second-best in the league.

Atiemo is the second Huskie to receive weekly conference honors this season. Junior libero Crew Hoffmeier was among the MAC’s weekly honorees on Sept. 18. 

The honor is the fourth of Atiemo’s career. She was recognized twice during the 2022 season and once during her freshman campaign.

The Huskies have a busy schedule of road matches ahead, taking on Western Michigan University on Tuesday and Central Michigan University on Friday and Saturday.