Advisers take pain away for students

By Paul Kirk

With vivid memories of schedule completion and add/drop nightmares still fresh in the minds of NIU students, university advisers are counseling students on how to approach next semester.

Sue Doederlein, assistant dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said students should see counselors in their colleges and departments at least twice a semester.

“You should check with your adviser now to make sure you have an appropriate schedule,” Doederlein said. “Check again when spring registration begins to make sure you have a viable schedule.”

Doederlein said she could not emphasize the need for alternate course selections on registration forms.

“Ask your adviser for alternate course selections in case you get closed out of the course you apply for,” Doederlein said.

Doederlein said it was of the utmost importance that students have all required permits signed and prepared well before the deadline for spring registration.

Doederlein added it was imperative that students take care of any financial impediments that may hinder their registration from going through the computer.

“Students think it’s not a big deal to pay their bill; it is. You’ll lose your schedule if you default on your tuition,” Doederlein said.

Doederlein said students may have more success in receiving a full schedule if they plan their class outside the “primetime block.”

“Students should schedule their classes outside the block of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. This is the busiest class time at the university. Students will have more success if they schedule their classes before 10 a.m. and after 3 p.m,” Doederlein said.

Students should also be careful not to schedule conflicting classes in their registration, Doederlein said.

“The computer will kick out both time requests if two classes overlap,” she said.

Doederlein said it was imperative for students to keep in contact with their advisers.

“The sooner a student comes in the sooner they’ll be prepared for spring semester.”