Nostalgic 2000s shows, film to watch this weekend

The Netflix home page shows a list of trending shows on a laptop screen. Lifestyle writer Jonathan Shelby gives his picks for what hes watching this weekend. (Northern Star File Photo)
Northern Star File Photo
The Netflix home page shows a list of trending shows on a laptop screen. Lifestyle writer Jonathan Shelby gives his picks for what he’s watching this weekend. (Northern Star File Photo)

Finally, Friday is almost upon us, and you know what that means. Grab your popcorn and movie glasses, because it’s showtime.

“THE BATMAN” 2004 ANIMATED SERIES (NETFLIX)

The Batman (2004) is an animated series that starts with our favorite caped crusader after his first year of being a hero and when he was still thought to be merely a rumor or vigilante. As the show continues, Batman solves crime, builds his rogues gallery of villains and gains important allies such as Robin, Commissioner Gordon and even the Justice League.

The series is no longer running and currently has five seasons, with each season having 13, 20-minute episodes. So, if you’re craving good and lengthy Batman content, I highly recommend this show. 

“IRON MAN: ARMORED ADVENTURES” 2008 SERIES (DISNEY+) 

Sticking with the superhero theme, “Iron Man: Armored Adventures” is a CGI style series that centers around younger versions of Anthony “Tony” Stark (Iron Man), James “Rhodey” Rhodes (War Machine) and Patricia “Pepper” Potts (Rescue) as they navigate through their lives while trying to keep the crime-fighting side a secret. Along the way, Tony continues to expand his collection of armored suits as he battles villains inside and outside of his armor. 

The series has two seasons, each with 26 episodes that range from 23 to 26 minutes long. The main characters have a lot of high and low moments that they go through, which keeps the audience guessing what might come next for them and makes the show very enticing. 

“NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM” 2006 (DISNEY+)

Ever wondered what happens after a museum closes for the night? Perhaps this movie can provide some insight for you. “Night at the Museum” focuses on Larry Daley, the newly hired night guard of a museum, who has no idea what he is in for. During his shift, Larry discovers that the museum’s exhibits come to life when night falls. Throughout the course of the movie, Larry must find ways to keep the exhibits under control and make sure everything and everyone is normal when the sun rises, or else they turn to dust. 

The movie runs just under two hours and is heavily comedic but still has some tear-jerking moments. If you’re looking for something to make you laugh, “Night at the Museum” is for you.