Few people can sport a mullet

(Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)
A man shows off his mullet from the side. Opinion Columnist Lexi Nebel believes a mullet can be a charming haircut on the right person. (Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

The mullet can be seen sported by men and women alike, and when paired with the right face can actually be incredibly stylish. However, if not worn by the right person, this short in the front and long in the back cut is a fashion fail. 

The mullet has certainly left its imprint on pop culture throughout the years. 

While the mullet was most notably seen on rock stars from the ‘80s, such as on David Bowie, it has transcended time and is still being sported today.

While the mullet has evoked many reactions, some of disgust and some of admiration, with the right face and style, it can certainly work. 

“I think with the right face shape, a mullet can be really flattering; but honestly, it’s kind of rare. I think people get mullets a lot of the time just because they’re trendy,” said Hannah Schori, a sophomore elementary education major.

Rocking a mullet can also be a good idea for guys, and as Laila Mason, a sophomore child development major, puts it: Most guys have the same haircut nowadays, so it can be fun to try something a little more unique.  

“Only certain people can pull off mullets, but not a lot of them can. It’s something different because I feel like a lot of guys nowadays have the same haircuts,” Mason said. 

As fashion has evolved, mullets have been worn by several different groups of people. 

A lot of the time, a big association that comes with mullets are regarding rednecks or hillbillies, although that association has definitely changed over the years. 

The mullet is as popular as ever now, and is commonly seen on athletes, especially hockey players. 

Of course, there are the frat boy mullets, but nowadays it’s very common to see both men and women sporting the cut as a fashion statement, especially amongst the LGBTQ+ community, according to Mod Muze Magazine. 

“Mullets are either a huge hit or a huge miss. To me, mullets have different connotations depending on who the person is and what their style is,” said Gabi Petrova, a sophomore marketing major. 

While mullets have definitely had their fair share of different reactions throughout time, it’s certainly a style that can work for those with the right style and face for the cut.