Black cats are not bad luck

Nyla Owens
Aaron from accounting, a black cat, looks around the cat play area with a curious face at Tails Humane Society, 2250 Barber Greene Road. At this time, Aaron from accounting has been adopted into his forever home. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

As Halloween quickly approaches, one of the first creatures that may come to mind alongside ghosts and witches are black cats, the beloved pet the world has come to love for their association with the holiday.

Black cats are common symbols of Halloween because of the age-old belief that they are bad luck, according to Cumberland Vet Clinic. It may be quite shocking to learn that this belief still plays a role in society today.

Due to this superstition, black cats have the lowest adoption rates and the highest euthanasia rates in U.S. shelters compared to any other cat breed, according to the National Library of Medicine.

Alongside low adoption rates, there are also a few cases of black cats facing extreme violence due to their association with bad luck. 

In 2018, a black cat was found dead, strung up, posed with needles and drugs in its body and mouth, according to Greensboro, North Carolina, WFMY News.

In 2019, another black cat was found dead after being tortured and then shot with a pellet gun in the head, according to Las Cruces Sun News

The belief that black cats are evil seems to originate from the idea that witches of the 13th century kept black cats as companions, although it’s not completely clear where this belief came from, according to History.

Clearly, the myth that black cats are bad luck is completely outdated and ridiculous. 

Megan Elsburg, the fundraising and marketing manager at Dekalb’s Tails Humane Society, believes every cat is deserving of a loving home, regardless of the color of their fur. 

“I mean, it’s really just a color. It doesn’t affect their personality, it’s just, you know, the color of their fur. The ones here at the shelter are super friendly and loving,” Elsburg said.

Ancient Egyptians were known to worship cats, specifically the black cat goddess Bastet, according to the American Research Center in Egypt

The Egyptians had the right idea. 

By adopting a black cat, you can help rid of the superstitions and myths surrounding them and do a small part in reducing the number of black cats in shelters. 

“The black cat superstitions and stigmas are exactly that,” Elsburg said. “Just old wives tales and urban legends, but I mean, who doesn’t like to lean into that in the spirit of Halloween?” 

If you have the resources and love to give to a black cat, or any cat for that matter, consider adopting one from Tails Humane Society. Rest assured, they won’t bring any unwanted bad luck.