Smith returns for hockey’s Midland rematch

Huskies eye revenge over Warriors
Freshman+forward+Robbie+Zimmerman+passes+the+puck+during+NIU+Hockeys+game+against+the+University+of+Jamestown+on+Oct.+14.+The+Huskies+are+looking+for+their+first+win+this+weekend+against+Midland+University.+%28Courtesy+of+NIU+Hockey%29+
Courtesy NIU Hockey
Freshman forward Robbie Zimmerman passes the puck during NIU Hockey’s game against the University of Jamestown on Oct. 14. The Huskies are looking for their first win this weekend against Midland University. (Courtesy of NIU Hockey)

DeKALB – Revenge is on the mind of a reloaded NIU Hockey (0-10-2, 0-6 MCH) squad, with a weekend series against Midland University (3-6, 3-4 MCH) on the horizon. 

The Huskies are still in search of their first win after falling to Waldorf University 5-1 last Friday and 5-2 last Saturday. 

WALKIN’ BACK

This weekend’s matchup with Midland marks the full return of NIU’s top recruit this summer, freshman forward Walker Smith, who posted 129 points in 107 junior hockey games over the last two seasons. 

Freshman forward Robbie Zimmerman, who will be playing on a line with Smith this weekend, said he is ecstatic about Smith’s return. 

“Locker room and off the ice, he definitely brings up team morale – real sexy guy, brings up team looks for sure,” Zimmerman said. “Everybody is going to rally around the fact that Walker’s back and ready to buzz. On the ice, I think he’s going to make a huge impact … he’s absolutely nasty at hockey.”

Coming in as a successful player from a high level of hockey, Smith expects to have a major impact on NIU’s roster this weekend while getting back up to game speed.

“I know I can bring some goal scoring and playmaking to set up goals,” Smith said. “This first weekend, I’m really looking to just find my footing and leave as big of an impact as I can. I’m really just working to get comfortable out there and trusting my body coming off the injury.”

NOT GIVING IN

Going through the first six weeks depleted due to injuries and ineligibility, frustration has set into NIU’s locker room. 

Despite the performance issues, the Huskies are taking the frustration in stride.

“We’re just trying to keep it in check by understanding the situation,” Smith said. “We haven’t played a full game with a full roster. We’ve played multiple games with 12 or 13 skaters. So, understanding that, we still have a lot that we can give to the games, and there’s a lot of potential.”

Zimmerman said the fact that most games have been close despite the short-handed lineup is helping keep the discouragement at a tolerable level. 

“We’re handling it well as a team,” Zimmerman said. “We know that we just need to get those few extra small things where we’re not getting blown out of the water, and every game we’re in, we’re trying to battle for.”

REVENGE IN MIND

The Huskies will be looking for revenge on Midland this weekend after falling 7-6 and 6-1 in Nebraska earlier this month.

Zimmerman said taking advantage of Midland’s aggressiveness is key to winning. 

“If we take advantage of their defensemen being a step slower than us, or maybe lesser than us, we can take advantage of that and score on our opportunities,” Zimmerman said. “Their forwards are strong, and I think that they’re an aggressive team. So, if we match that aggressiveness and take advantage of their defense, I think we can definitely win some games.” 

The Huskies face off against Midland at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Canlan Ice Sports in West Dundee. Students receive free admission with their OneCard. 

The game will be streamed on the NIU Hockey YouTube channel.