Food insecurity exhibits come to NIU Art Museum

An art piece shows different breakfast cereals floating in a pool of milk. The NIU Art Museum’s new suite of exhibits open Nov. 17. (Courtesy of Andy Dolan)

Food security and sustainability are quintessential to living happy, healthy lives. Unfortunately, not everyone has adequate access to such resources.

Because eating is necessary for us to survive, food is something that crosses boundaries.  That’s exactly what the three new exhibits are focusing on at NIU’s Art Museum.

The exhibits “What is for Supper? What is a Meal?” and “Food for the Soul: Belief and Healing in Burma,” are presented in conjunction with the Center for Burma Studies. The exhibit was originally scheduled for Spring 2023 but was delayed until this year.

The exhibits look at different social and economical issues concerning food availability. It also presents different cultural contexts of food and hopes to promote an open dialogue on the topic.

The third exhibit is the museum’s glass gallery. “Unsurpassed in Quality: Vintage Food Labels from the Collection of Peter B. Olson” is made up of various lithographic food labels.

The exhibits are set to open from Nov. 14 to Dec. 16 and Jan. 16 to Feb. 17, 2024 with a public reception taking place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m Nov. 17.