Mid-school-year study tips

Getty Images/iStockphoto
A person holds a yellow highlighter over an agenda covered in colorful sticky notes. Now that we’re halfway through the semester, developing efficient study techniques is crucial. (Courtesy of Getty Images)

Studying is a common struggle for many students; however, there are different ways to study your materials. 

Starting to study the night before an exam is an easy way to flunk a test and can dramatically increase stress. 

Lakenya McCray, an academic coach for the Huskie Academic Support Center, thinks the study methods people prefer depend on their preferences. 

“It all kind of depends on the person,” Mccray said. “I’ve had multiple sessions with different clients, and it’s just all about what they are able to maintain and what they can do.”

By starting early, it becomes easier to comprehend pieces of the material in greater detail. The more time available also gives you a moment to identify difficult concepts so they can be addressed early on. 

Instead of trying to memorize material, try to read through and understand it. If the topic is a little difficult to process, try to explain the material in your own words. 

Another tip is to make a “study list” of what material could be on the exam. Making a checklist of course material is a great way to keep yourself organized and feel less overwhelmed when there is a lot that needs to be studied. 

There are also extremely helpful websites that you can use to help with studying, like Quizlet, which provide you with multiple ways to study such as flashcards or practice tests. Another helpful website is Khan Academy, which offers practice exercises and tutoring videos on a vast number of topics. 

Your environment can also have a big impact on your mentality while studying. Things like background noise, music or relative silence can be great catalysts for studying or working on homework. 

Sometimes, being in the comfort of your own room can be a distraction whereas a coffee shop or library can help to sharpen your focus. 

Other things that can affect studying prowess include a location’s effectiveness and geographical placement. 

Amber O’Sullivan, a senior majoring in elementary education, finds her best study spot to be on the top floor of the library. 

“I study either in my room or the very top floor of the library,” O’Sullivan said. “I usually prefer when my surroundings are completely silent. 

Some students prefer to work in a more comfortable location. 

Hunter Buck, a senior with a major in accountancy, prefers places where he won’t be distracted by others that also help him focus. 

“Personally, I like my room,” Buck said. “Being in the comfort of my room helps me relax and get in a studying mood.”

Methods like studying in a group or with a tutor that can have their benefits. Some may or may not be fit for you, but there is always something that can help make studying a little easier. 

There are many more ways to help improve the way you study, but the best ways to study depends on what your preferences are and what works best for you.