Narcan distribution is lifesaving

In an initiative to end the opioid epidemic and stop overdoses, Northwestern Medicine distributed Narcan nasal spray, a drug used to prevent opioid overdoses, for Drug Take Back Day on Saturday. It’s a great thing to see medical institutions playing an active part in stopping the opioid epidemic, and more institutions should take part in this.

Northwestern Medicine also provided information about the opioid epidemic and how to properly use Narcan.

Narcan, or Naloxone, is a lifesaving nasal spray approved by the Food and Drug Administration that prevents overdoses by blocking the effects of opioids such as heroin, morphine and oxycodone, according to SAMHSA.

In 2021, there were 80,411 opioid overdose deaths, making up 75% of total overdose deaths, according to the CDC. And the number of deaths keeps rising, according to the National Institute of Drug Abuse. Opioids are highly addictive and are prone to cause overdoses, so for Northwestern to give Narcan out, potentially saving lives, that is a great thing.

Narcan should not only be given out on special occasions but should also be free and accessible everywhere. Now that the FDA approved the drug to be purchased over the counter, it is more accessible than ever and available for anyone to purchase. 

Narcan is a lifesaving drug that everyone should carry just in case. So, I encourage everyone to go out and get it, so on the off chance, god forbid, you have to use it, you will be prepared and can save someone’s life.