Wacky food combinations we hate to love

A+Nutella+and+cheese+sandwich+lays+on+a+blue+and+white+plate.+Individuals+either+embrace+or+turn+away+from+weird+food+combinations.+%28Courtesy+of+Getty+Images%29+
A Nutella and cheese sandwich lays on a blue and white plate. Individuals either embrace or turn away from weird food combinations. (Courtesy of Getty Images)

Pregnant women aren’t the only ones with interesting taste buds. It turns out weird food combinations are more common than people think.

There is always an untraditional food combination everyone is scared to eat around others. NIU students were asked to share their oddest food combinations in hopes of finding secret recipe gems. Students named some suprising snacks and unique renditions on classic meals.

BRATS AND TAKIS

This spicy rendition of a classic barbecue meal is sure to knock your socks off. 

“One day I tried takis on top of a brat and I wasn’t mad at it,” said Jazmin Wolf, a senior communicative disorders major. “It was only once but honestly if you put it in front of me again, I would definitely eat it.”

The dish itself was a crunchy spicy blast to the savory brat. While not too wacky, it’s definitely a special way to use Takis as a condiment.

UNTOASTED BREAD AND AMERICAN CHEESE

Imagine an undercooked grilled cheese. This is exactly what this dish tastes like. This strange combination simply consists of putting 2 slices of American cheese on white bread. 

“I think it tastes really good if you really like bread and cheese. Personally, I can eat bread with anything. I like it with cheese, buffalo dip or whatever,” said Hadil Mohamednor, a senior biology major. “If you want to get fancy, heat it up in the microwave for ten seconds.”

KETCHUP AS PIZZA AND PASTA SAUCE

Ketchup is a condiment that can be used on anything. Mohamednor takes it a little further by using ketchup as a sauce for both pizza and pasta. 

“I got this from my mom who is British. She always told me Ketchup and tomato sauce are basically the same thing. Now I get strange looks when I start assembling my pizza and I ask for the ketchup,” Mohamednor said.

Ketchup is nothing similar to tomato sauce as it contains tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and spices. Tomato sauce contains tomatoes, oil, meat or vegetable stock and spices. 

This wild combination is a legit recipe. However, it is by far the most unique way to make tomato sauce. 

LIVER AND HONEY

The most interesting food combination comes straight from the farm. This food combo consists of liver with a honey drizzle on top for extra flavor. 

“I have a very strict and interesting diet. I try to eat relatively clean by sticking to a low carb high protein diet. One of my go to meals is liver with raw honey. It sounds nuts, but it is extremely healthy for you,” said Dalton Palmer, a senior communications major. 

This intriguing dish is not for the faint of heart. It is extremely daunting but for those who are up to the challenge, Palmer recommends using the honey as just a condiment on top of your prepared liver.

Whether it’s sausage and peanut butter or buffalo dip on a hot dog bun, everyone has a weird combo that scratches the right place in the brain.