Three eclectic Roger Corman classics

A man with a split skull looks down. Roger Corman has directed some of the best horror films in the 1960s and onward. (Courtesy of YouTube)

There are two types of horror fans: those who want to be scared and those who want to have fun.

With his low-budget production values and dated special effects, it’s unlikely the classic films of director-producer Roger Corman will fuel any nightmares, but their entertainment value is unmatched.

Though his filmography consists almost entirely of cheaply and quickly made B-movies, Corman has proven himself over the years to be one of the most distinctive and inventive figures in horror filmmaking. Here are some of his most memorable movies.

“Little Shop of Horrors” (1960)

As beloved as the 1986 musical adaptation of “Little Shop of Horrors” is, many might not realize the film is a remake of Roger Corman’s 1960 horror film of the same name.

While it lacks the catchy soundtrack and electrifying performance of Four Tops singer Levi Stubbs, the original perfectly encapsulates the qualities present in many of Corman’s works that make him such a great director: a campy, bitingly satirical horror film with an absurd, imaginative premise.

The film follows down-on-his-luck florist Seymour Krelborn (Jonathan Haze) who stumbles upon a unique plant. Chaos soon follows as Krelborn discovers the plant’s insatiable thirst for human blood.

“Little Shop of Horrors” is also notable for featuring an early performance from Jack Nicholson, playing the role of the sadistic, pain-seeking dental patient Wilbur Force.

“A Bucket of Blood” (1959)

Similar to its successor “Little Shop of Horrors,” Corman’s “A Bucket of Blood” tells the story of an average, downtrodden young man who inadvertently finds himself in the shoes of a serial killer.

In a hilariously scathing satire of the Beat Generation, lowly poetry cafe busboy Walter Paisley (Dick Miller) longs to be a sculptor despite a painful lack of talent. However, his fate changes through a strange series of events that result in Paisley killing his landlady’s cat and casting its remains in a mold. 

Much to his surprise, Walter’s creation is praised by pretentious art patrons, and he embarks on a killing spree, desperate to find more corpses to pass off as handmade sculptures.

Despite seeming like a silly obscure ‘50s horror movie at first glance, “A Bucket of Blood” is so much more. Corman utilizes the offbeat plot of the film to explore the way we interact with art and how we value it.

“X: The Man with the X-ray Eyes” (1963)

More in line with what one would expect from a low-budget 1960s horror movie, “X: The Man with the X-ray Eyes” follows scientist Dr. James Xavier (Ray Milland) who creates eye drops that make x-ray vision possible.

“X” masterfully embraces the science-fiction end of the horror spectrum, and Golden Age of Hollywood star Milland tackles the mad scientist trope well in a late career highlight for the actor.

The film also features an unexpected dramatic performance from famed insult comic Don Rickles.

Comparing this film to “Little Shop of Horrors” and “A Bucket of Blood” highlights the surprising range and versatility Corman has as a filmmaker, showing he can handle everything from satirical black comedies to dramatic sci-fi thrillers.