Unique addition to Xenoverse 2

New ‘Ultra Instinct’ transformation
The title art for the game “Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2” depicts a gold ball with two red stars inside white lettering. The game recently got an update that includes a new battle mode and tournament. (Courtesy of YouTube)

As of Oct. 12, fans of the action RPG Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 are able to experience an abundance of new content in one of the biggest free updates the game has ever seen. 

Xenoverse 2 is a game that’s part of the Dragon Ball franchise and grants players the ability to create their own character, learn and interact with characters from the series, and fight with or against other players online. 

Unlike previous updates before it, this one introduced a brand new event, a new transformation for custom characters and a new online player versus player event. 

The new event, called the Festival of Universes, lasts for three months and is a tournament between three different teams of Universe seven, six and 11 which players can choose from in order to earn rewards. In order to win, players must earn “glory points” by playing any of the other modes in the game, like online combat against other players and side quests. 

The points are calculated and updated every week, and rewards are distributed based on how well the team does compared to the other two. The rewards can range from time patrol medals, which are the secondary currency of the game, customizable colors for certain outfits, and new lobby auras among other rewards. 

The next thing that was added was a new online game mode called “Cross Versus.” 

Cross Versus is a three versus three battle mode that was implemented for both new and old players to enjoy. All players start at Level 1 and are placed in different areas where their goal is to defeat waves of enemies, build up power and collect attacks and reach the boss before the other team. 

There are two ways to win: The first is to reach and defeat the boss before the other team can defeat their boss, and the second is to gather enough points to reach the point goal. 

Points, experience and skills can be earned by collecting markers scattered on the ground, from defeating enemies or destroying special crystals. 

While fighting against the boss, one member from both teams will have the opportunity to sabotage each other’s progress by fighting alongside the opposing team’s boss, making it much harder to win. 

Lastly, the update included a new transformation for custom characters known as “Ultra Instinct.” Ultra Instinct changes your aura, hair and eye color to silver and grants a different type of buff than normal.

Unlike the other transformations in the game, Ultra Instinct acts as a counter when transforming; so, if the opponent attacks during that period, they will take damage and speed up the transformation process. 

When using Ultra Instinct, the player can automatically dodge any physical attacks and effectively counterattack: However, it doesn’t improve any normal stats like attack power or speed. 

With plenty of things to do in the game and more content coming next year and beyond according to the roadmap released by Bandai Namco, the future of Xenoverse 2 is looking brighter than ever.