Women’s soccer adds 7 after National Signing Day

Tim Dodge
Freshman forward Tyra King dribbles the ball past a University at Buffalo defender. King’s high school teammate and six other recruits committed to play women’s soccer at NIU on National Signing Day. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

DeKALB – The NIU women’s soccer team announced seven additions to its 2024 recruiting class on Wednesday in the aftermath of National Signing Day.

Joining the Huskie ranks next fall will be midfielders Cydnie Bayless, McKenna Campbell-Turkalj and Lauren Mrugala, goalkeepers Abi Dolding and Lauren Pearson, defender Julianna Hill and forward Alyssa Stephenson.

“We are thrilled with the addition of so many high-quality players,” said NIU women’s soccer head coach Michael O’Neill in an NIU Athletics news release. “My staff has worked tirelessly to get some of the best local, regional, and international talent here to NIU and we are excited to see them impact this program as we continue to build a highly competitive MAC program.”

Among the newly-acquired recruits are three international players. Campbell-Turkalj and Stephenson both hail from the Canadian province of Ontario, having resided in Kitchener and Oakville, respectively. Dolding will arrive in DeKalb after a transatlantic journey from her hometown of Hastings, England. The remaining four recruits are native to the Midwest – two from Illinois and one apiece from Iowa and Wisconsin.

One newcomer will serve as half of a reunion between former high school teammates next fall. Bayless and standout freshman forward Tyra King both played for the same Metea Valley High School girls soccer team in Aurora.

The 2024 recruiting class will look to help guide the Huskies back to the MAC Tournament while improving upon their 8-8-3 overall record and 6-4-1 MAC record from this past season. The 2024 season will be O’Neill’s third at the helm of the program.