Productions delayed by SAG-AFTRA strike

People march in New York City in support for the actor’s strike. Because of the strike, the release dates for several films have been pushed back. (Courtesy of Getty Images)

Movie and TV show productions are experiencing delay due to the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists continuing their strike even after the end of the Writers Guild of America strike on Sept. 27.

The actors’ strike officially began July 14, amidst the writers strike, after an agreement could not be reached during negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.

While the SAG-AFTRA strike ended after a tentative contract Wednesday, there are still many other productions that have had release dates delayed or been put on hold entirely.

“Challengers”

Director of “Call Me by Your Name” and “Bones and All,” Luca Guadagnino’s “Challengers” was supposed to hit theaters Sept. 15, 2023, but was delayed to April 26, 2024. 

The tennis romance film follows Tashi (Zendaya), a former tennis player turned coach, who transforms her husband, Art (Mike Faist), into a Grand Slam champion. After experiencing a losing streak, Art is signed up by Tashi to compete in a tennis match against Patrick (Josh O’Connor), Art’s ex-friend and Tashi’s former lover.

“Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse”

Initially meant to be released a year after the second Spider-Verse movie, “Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse” has been delayed indefinitely by Sony, as the company has been forced to delay other films from Sony’s Spider-Man Universe. 

Despite the actors strike, it seemed the movie had no chance in being completed in time for its original release on March 29, 2024, as a member of the animation team claims there has only been progress seen in pre-production of “Beyond the Spider-Verse.”

“Elio”

Pixar’s newest feature follows the titular protagonist, Elio (Yonas Kibreab), an 11-year-old boy abducted by aliens after being mistaken as Earth’s ambassador. The sci-fi adventure film was originally scheduled for a March 2024 theatrical release but was pushed back to June 13, 2025. 

“Beetlejuice 2”

The long-awaited sequel to the 1988 classic comedy “Beetlejuice” almost finished filming before production was halted due to the strike. Tim Burton returns to direct, alongside Michael Keaton, Winona Ryder and Catherine O’Hara reprising their roles from the original film. New cast members include Justin Theoroux and Willem Dafoe in undisclosed roles and Jenna Ortega, who plays the daughter of Lydia Deetz. 

TV SHOWS

HBO series “The White Lotus” and “The Last of Us” have had their new season’s release dates pushed back to 2025 with “Euphoria” sharing a similar fate.

“Yellowjackets” writers have started working on Season 3 of the series but it is not expected to air until the second half of 2024 at the earliest.

Netflix series reaching their final season, such as “Cobra Kai,” “You” and “Stranger Things” are also postponed due to the strike.

Even with the current production delays, there are still plenty of different films and shows out there to watch to support your favorite actors.