No more Huskies, we’re Geese

Daniela Barajas
A goose stands on top of a huskie. The NIU Huskies should become the NIU Geese. (Daniela Barajas | Northern Star)

Editor’s note: This is a satire piece, written with the intention of entertainment and has no merit. 

Oftentimes, students are surrounded by geese, honking, hissing and being intimidating to everyone they come across. Geese are well-known throughout campus for sitting on top of buildings, charging at students and walking around in menacing gaggles. 

The NIU Huskies should become the NIU Geese. NIU should be honored to have such a formidable animal representing our school. 

Students, faculty and staff are familiar with geese and encounter them on a daily basis. Mission III, despite consistent love for him, is not enough to overpower the expansive geese population on campus. 

Geese represent a lot of NIU’s values, including curiosity, equity and integrity. By trying to interact with students, treating all people the same and working together, the geese on campus are beacons of NIU’s mission statement

By exuding school spirit, the geese deserve to earn the mascot position at NIU. 

Haley Dahlstrand, a first-year nursing major, said that NIU should change their mascot to the geese. 

“I think it’s a great idea. I think it’s a no-brainer, honestly,” Dahlstrand said.

The agreement among students is overwhelming, as it should be. Geese have a honkin’ good time, and NIU should be proud to join their party.

Interestingly, students have a belief that the geese are proud of their home on campus, as many students are too. 

Anna Roush, a junior history major, had an interesting opinion about why geese should replace huskies as the NIU mascot.

“You know what, it would make a lot of sense because there’s geese everywhere, and they’ll go after you, too, you know,” Roush said. “They’re pretty, you know, protective of NIU, I would say. So maybe the geese deserve it.”

The geese, certainly, are protective of campus. They can often be found hissing and charging, both at humans and other geese. Each student should be proud of a goose protecting their life and the lives of those around them.

Courtney Pincuspy, a first-year biology major, noted how the geese are always around and interacting with NIU students, faculty and staff. 

“You know, I feel like it’s a very valid idea because, when do we see a husky? Sometimes. When do we see a goose? Every day,” Pincuspy said. “I feel like we can really get in tune with that new mascot because we’d see them every day, sitting on the buildings watching over us, they’re like our guardians.” 

NIU’s geese often sit atop DuSable Hall and Swen Parson Hall, encouraging students to attend class and pursue their education. 

Arguably, the most important perspective is the geese, and they, too, are supportive of the change. 

“Honk, honk,” the goose said.

The geese deserve a spot at NIU’s table, representing their interests as well as the interests of students, faculty and staff. 

The Huskies are out; now, it is the time of the goose.