New student center proposed

By Linda Warchal

The subject of building another student center spurred questions and concerns from senators.

Student Regent Jim Mertes said the possibility of a “Student Life Center” is in the very early stages of discussion.

There would be a fee increase of $37 to $48 per student per year, Mertes said. “This is going to have a significant effect on students.”

Sen. Rachel Zilka said she wanted to know if the new building would be like the already existing student center.

Sen. Donielle Gary said she wondered why other rooms in the student center can’t be utilized before another building is constructed for the use of housing student organizations.

Sen. Ranjeet Rai said with the student health services soon moving out of the student center, space might be utilized by student organizations.

Mertes met senators’ questions and said he doesn’t support or oppose the building, but that he wanted to bring the matter to the attention of the senate. He said it should be out in the open so student opinion might be known.

“We would like to have student input at all stages of discussion on this important topic,” Mertes said.

If the building is constructed, the fee increase will be long-term, Mertes said. He added, there will be more meetings throughout the year on the matter.

Other business carried out during the SA senate meeting was the approval of the appointment of six new senators. The six senators are Richard Schulte, Christi Kret, Jennifer Sarro, Steve Pryor, Setthea Kong and Dan Gora.