Women’s basketball dominates first game of November Clasico

Then-redshirt sophomore guard Sidney McCrea (2) looks to pass the ball after gaining possession on Jan. 25 against Kent State. The Huskies defeated Radford University in their first game of the November Clasico. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)
Nyla Owens

NIU women’s basketball (2-3) kicked off their first game of the November Clasico with a 72-55 win over the Radford University Highlanders (2-5). Lights out three-point shooting boosted the Huskies in the win despite 18 turnovers. 

The Huskies finished the contest with a 50% three-point percentage, compared to Radford’s 17.6%.

“It makes the game easy when you knock down shots. I thought we did a nice job of sharing the basketball,” said head women’s basketball coach Lisa Carlsen. “We talk all the time about how critical paint touches are to our ability to shoot the three.” 

Senior forward Brooke Stonebraker led the Huskies in scoring with 20 points, setting her career high. Stonebraker also logged 9 rebounds and 2 blocks. Sophomore guard Ashlyn Traylor-Walker led the Highlanders, scoring 19 points. 

“​​She’s (Stonebraker) skilled enough to do a really nice job of finishing, especially when you have to guard for other people on the perimeter,” Carlsen said. 

The Huskies opened the game with a four-point play from redshirt senior guard Grace Hunter. NIU held the lead throughout the first quarter, finishing with a 19-15 lead. Hunter finished the game with 10 points on 60% three-point shooting. 

The Highlanders began the second quarter strong, going up 24-23 – their only lead of the day before Stonebraker regained the NIU lead with a layup. Senior guard Jayden Marable parlayed the layup, sinking a three-pointer and sending the Huskies to halftime with a four-point lead. 

“I think that was big, and then you know, it also gave us a lead,” Marable said. “Just having that momentum and confidence to keep shooting in the second half, I think was big as well.” 

The Huskies opened the second half with back-to-back threes. NIU ran away with the lead after a pair of Stonebraker layups and a three from senior forward Tara Stauffacher. The Huskies finished the third quarter 6-9 from behind the arch. 

NIU went into the fourth quarter up 50-32 after junior guard Moriah Prewitt keyed a deep-range three. The Huskies proceeded to sink four three-pointers in the fourth quarter – good for 57% from three in the fourth quarter – to secure the 72-55 victory. 

NIU returns to action at 10 a.m. Saturday against Indiana State University for the second game of the November Clasico. Streaming is available on Puerto Rico College Sports Tours, and listening will be available through The Varsity Network