A dispensary good edition to DeKalb

A person hands a card to a person in a lab coat holding a plastic bag. Senior Opinion Columnist Emily Beebe believes a marijuana dispensary is a good addition to DeKalb. (Juniperimages | Getty Images)

A car with tinted windows pulls up to a house with a caved-in roof and chipped paint. A person gets out of the car, goes up to the mailbox and retrieves a bag of weed from the mailbox. The person puts an envelope with money into the mailbox. Another day, another drug deal taking place. 

However, you don’t have to partake in these shady drug deals anymore: There’s a new dealer in town. 

Excelleaf, the new dispensary in DeKalb, opened today.

The owners of the dispensary come from health backgrounds. Having workers that know what they are doing can make people feel relieved and ensure that they are getting quality materials. It also makes people trust the workers to answer their questions and provide great service to them.

Having a new dispensary in DeKalb, especially the town’s first, can be beneficial because individuals that partake have somewhere legit to buy their materials from instead of buying them from outside sources. 

Although it costs more money to buy “materials” from a dispensary compared to outside sources, at a dispensary individuals are getting excellent products with a higher quality. 

Skylar Stanis, a senior psychology major, said safety is important when it comes to the dispensary opening. 

“I know a lot of people have been talking about it for a while, so it sounds like other people are excited about it opening,” Stanis said. “As long as people are being safe, I think that’s what’s important, especially with it opening in a college town.”

NIU is also known as a suitcase school, where students only come to campus during the week and go home on weekends. By having a new dispensary, this can give students a reason to stay on campus during the weekends.

Parker McClure, a senior pre-physical therapy major, said students that go to the dispensary would most likely consider staying on campus on the weekends. 

“It is something I’m sure people will consider,” McClure said. “It could also definitely keep people here on the weekends cause they don’t wanna drive afterwards.” 

Excelleaf also wants to add a unique perspective to their dispensary by providing a consumption space where individuals that partake can meet other people that also partake. By having a consumption space, it can give consumers the opportunity to form connections and make friends with people that have a similar interest. 

Nakia McAdoo, Excelleaf’s Chief of Operations, said to the Northern Star Excelleaf wants to use part of their building as a classroom to provide educational classes to the community.

“Educational classes on how to roll joints, create cannabis cocktails, dose properly and treat ailments could soon be taught to the community,” McAdoo said.

For individuals that are 21 or older that partake in smoking weed, the new dispensary in DeKalb can provide everything they are looking for. 

Ranging from edibles to flower to vaporizers, Excelleaf provides premium products to consumers that partake. 

Excelleaf is located at 305 E. Locust Street in DeKalb and is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday.