Taylor Swift makes history at 66th Grammys

Taylor+Swift+holds+a+Grammy+award+as+she+accepts+the+award+for+%E2%80%9CAlbum+of+the+Year.%E2%80%9D+The+66th+Grammy+awards+took+place+in+Los+Angeles+on+Sunday.+%28AP+Photo%2FChris+Pizzello%29+
Taylor Swift holds a Grammy award as she accepts the award for “Album of the Year.” The 66th Grammy awards took place in Los Angeles on Sunday. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

The 66th annual Grammys brought jaw dropping moments, stunning fashion and breathtaking performances.  

Dua Lipa opened the award show at 7 p.m. Sunday with her song “Training Season.” 

After the opening performance, host Trevor Noah walked around the audience and introduced viewers to the star-studded attendees. 

Noah complimented stars up and down for their accomplishments in the last year. However, 21 Savage found himself unable to smile as he sat there wearing sunglasses in the dimly lit room. 

Noah highlighted the dominance of female artists in the music industry with seven of the eight “Album of the Year” nominees being women. 

The award was presented by Celine Dion who won the award herself 27 years ago. Dion’s award was presented by Diana Ross and Sting.

Taylor Swift announced her brand new album “The Tortured Poets Department” as she accepted her award for “Pop Vocal Album.” The new album releases April 19. 

Gasps and screams could be heard around the world at the secret Swift kept for the past two years. Within 15-minutes there was a virtual line to preorder the album with wait times up to an hour long. 

Unsurprisingly, Swift also took home the “Album of the Year” award, becoming the only person to win the award four times. Swift was seen looking shocked when her name was announced by Dion, and Swift dragged Lana Del Rey up to the stage with her. 

The first award, “Best Pop Solo Performance,” was presented by none other than icon – whose music played non-stop just a month ago – Mariah Carey. 

Miley Cyrus was the one to take home the Grammy, her first Grammy at that. 

Cyrus performed “Flowers” later in the night wearing a Bob Mackie mini dress. The dress was silver and resembled a cross between a peacock and a 1920s flapper. 

“When I see other people dancing to “Flowers” the way I dance to “Flowers” it just makes me so happy I could cry,” Cyrus said.

In the crowd Taylor Swift, Kelsea Ballerini and Oprah danced and sang along to “Flowers.” 

Luke Combs shocked the audience with his performance of “Fast Car” as Tracy Chapman – the original artist of the song – joined him in the performance. 

In a prerecorded video Combs explained “Fast Car” was his first favorite song before he even knew what a favorite song was. 

“I went into the studio to record my most recent record “Gettin’ Old” and I was like ‘What if we just did this cover?’ And it was just cuz I wanted to do it. I’m not doing it for anybody else. I’m just doing it for me,” Combs said in the video. 

During the performance, it was evident Combs was soaking up every second he could with Chapman. Combs kept looking over at her in awe, on top of the world. 

Jelly Roll and Taylor Swift could be seen standing and singing along to “Fast Car.”  

Kacey Musgraves walked on stage in a slick black dress with a thigh-high slit to present “Best Country Album.” 

Lainey Wilson took home the award for “Best Country Album.” Wilson wore a black suit and bell-bottom pants with gold accents. 

During her acceptance speech Wilson explained this is her first Grammy and she is a 5th generation farmer. 

Noah presented the “Dr. Dre Global Impact Award” to Shawn “Jay Z” Carter. 

Carter brought his daughter on stage with him to accept the award where he thanked Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and all the people doing good in the world. 

Of course, it wouldn’t have been a “Jay Z” moment without at least one awkward statement. 

“Some of you are going to go home and feel like you may have been robbed, some of you will get robbed, some of you don’t belong in the category,” Carter said. 

“Song of the Year” was presented by Lionel Richie. Richie won the same award with Michael Jackson in 1985 for “We Are the World.” 

Billie Eilish was surprised when her name was announced for “Song of the Year” as she usually is when winning an award. 

“Damn, that’s stupid guys,” Ellish said as she accepted the award. “Everybody in this category, that was a crazy list of incredible people in this category.”

Victoria Monét took home the “Best New Artist” award. Monet has an undeniably beautiful voice and talent, but it is hard not to be surprised Noah Kahan did not take home the award. 

Christina Aguilera and Maluma presented the award for “Best Música Urbana Album.”

Colombian singer Karol G exploded with excitement in her soft pink hair and blue-green dress as she accepted the award for her album “Mañana Será Bonito.” 

As the Grammys came to an end, one artist took the stage. An artist who touched the lives of so many with his songs, “Piano Man,” “We Didn’t Start the Fire” and “Tell Her About It.” 

An artist who sold out Madison Square Garden 150 times, and an artist who is none other than Billy Joel. 

In a prerecorded video Joel admitted he stopped recording music simply because he wanted to, he didn’t see the joy in it anymore. Recently, Joel has been able to enjoy creating music again. 

Joel graced the Grammys stage and sang his new single, “Turn the Lights Back On,” and the audience sat in silence soaking up every second of it.