School sights require cleaning conscience

By Linda Warchal

It seems one of the best things about college during warm weather is strolling around campus.

There is much to see on campus during this time.

For instance, one must take a look at NIU’s older buildings.

Altgeld Hall, otherwise called the castle, is interesting to look at if only for the gargoyles perched on top.

Another major focal point this semester is the construction at the King Memorial Commons.

At long last, NIU students and staff will view “Balance of Equality,” the sculpture which will soon dominate the King Memorial Commons and, hopefully, will not cause major car accidents on Normal Road.

Word is, the sculpture will be a favorite nesting place for bats, but that must be dealt with at a later date.

And last, but surely not least, one can stoop to smell a flower, find shelter under a tree and experience life’s simple pleasures.

However, as students meander through campus, it is difficult to see past the trash on the ground. The greenery becomes less picturesque.

That is not to say one wallows in garbage while going to class, but even an empty cup can distract a person from his surroundings.

Because both the East Lagoon and the West Lagoon are used for gatherings, trash is a particular problem at those places.

It is ironic, and sad, that the West Lagoon’s Ecological Park is a haven for litterbugs. The lagoon is some distance from campus, and can be a pleasant escape from dorm rooms, work or whatever a person happens to be running from.

There are many students who take advantage of the weather and spend many whiles at the lagoon enjoying their free time. But this is spoiled when a person must circle around to find that perfect spot without empty bags, cans and other strange items sometimes found outdoors on the ground.

After all, there are cylindrical objects placed strategically around campus places where one can deposit one’s trash.

Dropping off the remains of a lunch or empty party goods in a trash bin is a relatively simple task, yet some just do not have the inclination to do this.

It is hard to understand just what wills a person to throw garbage on the ground. Heredity might be to blame for those who feel they cannot use trash cans, but with proper therapy (or a good swift kick) these people are sure to be treated for their sickness.

People hear this over and over and might be sick of hearing about being kind to the environment, yet it is still a problem.

Somewhere along the line, people need to start listening.

Students need to remember other people walk this campus all season long. Fairness should apply here.

Many students use the same spots under the trees on campus at different times to relax or read and those people should not have to clean up after someone else.

After all, college students should be picking up after themselves at this stage in their lives.

This is just a reminder to a certain breed of students who forget these things at times.