Courts designed but still in need of funds

By Linda Warchal

NIU students should not have to foot the bill for Stevenson’s two new courts if funding is found, said Jodie English, Student Association Recreation Adviser.

There is a $30,000 budget for the basketball court and an $8500 budget for the volleyball court.

“I can’t justify going to the student body for the money. It’s not fair and it’s not practical,” English said.

“We’re trying to get materials donated from the community and surrounding area so that there would be no cost or very little cost to students,” she said.

There were donations lined up for the project, but English said they fell through.

“Right now we’re re-evaluating it (the project). We’re still going to try to get new people to donate material,” English said.

She added that the paperwork is finished and the architectural plans are developed. Funding for the project is all that is needed, she said.

Although the original deadline was for Aug. 31, there is no deadline for the project anymore, English said.

The south side of Stevenson Towers is the site for a basketball and volleyball court.

Finding funding for the courts is not the only project English said she is working on this semester.

A survey conducted by the NIU American Marketing Association will ask students their opinions on the services offered by the Office of Campus Recreation.