USGS water research facility benefits students

The+DeKalb+Water+Tower+sits+near+NIUs+western+offices+and+the+NIU+football+field+on+a+morning.+The+USGS+Central+Midwest+Water+Science+Center+will+relocate+to+NIUs+campus+by+the+end+of+the+semester%2C+presenting+new+research+experience+opportunities+for+students.+%28Totus+Tuus+Keely+%7C+Northern+Star%29+
Totus Tuus Keely
The DeKalb Water Tower sits near NIU’s western offices and the NIU football field on a morning. The USGS Central Midwest Water Science Center will relocate to NIU’s campus by the end of the semester, presenting new research experience opportunities for students. (Totus Tuus Keely | Northern Star)

NIU is receiving a new water facility through its United States Geological Survey partnership. This facility will be filled with research opportunities and hands-on experiences that NIU students should utilize.

USGS is best known for providing research about many different topics such as climate change, natural hazards, water, energy and minerals, according to the USGS website. Students wanting to go into geology, for example, will benefit from the new USGS facility at NIU.

Ian Halterman, a senior water and soil science major who does research through USGS, said the new USGS facility will be beneficial for professors engaging in research, bringing them closer to the USGS staff.

A bulletin board on the first floor of Davis Hall displays potential job descriptions for hydrology. The USGS water research facility moving to campus will provide research opportunities for students interested in a variety of subjects, including hydrology, geology and environmental sciences. (Lucy Atkinson | Northern Star) (Lucy Atkinson)

“They (professors and USGS staff) are already pretty close, but it just gives at least a better connection when it comes to their research,” Halterman said. “It also gives better connection when it comes to student opportunities, especially when it comes to, like, field trips.”

Students should be able to get the most out of their academic experience. By having the opportunity to go on field trips, have hands-on opportunities and participate in potential internships, science students can get the most out of their degree through the USGS facility.

Illinois also has its branch of the USGS. The Illinois State Geological Survey provides accurate and objective earth science research and information to support the public safety, economic development and environmental quality of Illinois, according to the ISGS website.

Through the ISGS website, some maps and resources show different kinds of wells, such as water and oil.

Having access to clean water is a necessity of life, and society must help protect our water sources such as wetlands.

Having clean water is crucial, especially since individuals use water for so many purposes such as showering, doing dishes, doing laundry and even just drinking. In towns like DeKalb which rely on crops like corn, having clean water sources to support the crops and agriculture is pivotal.

In towns like DeKalb, where the water may not be the best, the USGS facility may help improve the state of the water, both at surface level and ground level.

Students majoring in other subjects such as mathematics, biology or physics will also have the opportunity to collaborate within the new facility, Director of Innovation at NIU, Karinne Bredberg, told the Northern Star.

“Although the Department of Earth, Atmosphere and Environment will be a large focus area with USGS, other departments at NIU such as environmental studies; chemistry; communication; mathematics; statistics; biology; computer science and physics will also have the opportunity to collaborate,” Bredberg said.

STEM majors should apply for and utilize internship or job opportunities, Halterman said.

“Hopefully with NIU and the USGS being closer, a lot more people will pay attention to our internship postings and our career path postings, since I know those have been advertised a lot in Davis and in the geology department,” Halterman said.

For more information about what USGS does, students can visit its website.

The USGS facility, when available to students, can provide better drinking water for the community and will be an exciting development for NIU.