Softball swept in Ohio, drop to 10th in MAC

Totus Tuus Keely
Junior middle infielder/outfielder Jenna Turner is called out on a stolen base attempt on March 29. The Huskies were swept in a three-game series against Ohio University on Saturday and Sunday. (Northern Star File Photo)

NIU softball (9-23, 3-9 MAC) fell to 10th place in the MAC after suffering a three-game sweep from Ohio University (20-18, 8-6 MAC).

The Huskies had 20 combined runners left on base over the weekend series as they were outscored 21-11.

“I think we just tried to press too much,” said NIU softball head coach Christina Sutcliffe. “You got to stay a little shorter in those situations, and I think we got longer and less disciplined.”

GAME 1: BOBCATS 11, HUSKIES 6

Senior infielder Caitlyn Shumaker tried to carry a win in Game 1, going 3-for-4 with two home runs and a double while driving in four runs.

Shumaker’s second home run of the day gave NIU a 6-5 lead in the top of the fourth inning, before three Ohio runs in both the fifth and sixth innings pushed the Bobcats to an 11-6 win.

Senior pitcher Emily Dato took the loss, surrendering 4 runs in three innings after relieving sophomore pitcher/utility Danielle Stewart.

GAME 2: BOBCATS 4, HUSKIES 2

Three NIU batters had multi-hit performances in Game 2 – junior middle infielder/outfielders Jenna Turner and Avery Carnahan and senior catch/outfielder Ellis Erickson.

Despite nine total hits on the game, the Huskies could only muster two runs.

Ohio junior catcher/infielder Emma Hoffner produced a four-RBI outing, driving in runs on a home run, a double and a single.

Sophomore pitcher Lily Cassell started and finished Game 2 in the pitcher’s circle for the Huskies, allowing 4 earned runs on nine hits in six innings of work.

GAME 3: BOBCATS 6, HUSKIES 3

A pitcher’s duel was in the works early in the final game of the series as each squad collected just one hit apiece through three innings.

The Bobcats opened up the scoring in the bottom of the fourth, reaching home twice on four hits.

A solo home run from junior third baseman/first baseman Madison Mathews put NIU on the board in the fifth inning, but Ohio struck back fast with three more runs in the bottom half of the inning.

Stewart started Game 3 and took the loss, allowing six hits and five runs in 4.2 innings. Only two of the runs were earned.

The Huskies showed some fight with their last breath, scoring two runs off the bats of Turner and Stewart, but the effort to salvage a win fell flat as NIU lost 6-3.

UP NEXT

The Huskies return to action at 2 p.m. Wednesday for the first game of a doubleheader with Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois. Live streaming will be available on ESPN+ and live stats will be found on SIDEARM Stats.

“We gotta show up Wednesday, bottom line,” Sutcliffe said. “We gotta continue to learn. We gotta continue to grow. Otherwise, what are we kind of doing here?”